Sep 28, 2011, 7:15 PM EDT
Update: Boston made it official, placing Youkilis on the 60-day disabled list to open up a roster for Clay Buchholz prior to Wednesday’s game.
Kevin Youkilis hasn’t officially been ruled out for the playoffs if the Red Sox end up winning the Wild Card, but manager Terry Francona indicated today that he’s not expecting to have him back in the lineup before 2012.
“The writing is kind of on the wall,” Francona told Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal. “I don’t think you’re going to see him play again. I wish he would, and he’s tried so hard and he’s been open to doing anything. I just don’t know that’s going to happen.”
Youkilis hasn’t played since September 15 because of hip bursitis and a sports hernia, which he’ll need surgery to fix at some point during the offseason. In his absence Jed Lowrie and Mike Aviles have split time at third base, but not being able to count on Youkilis’ middle-of-the-order bat is a tough break for Boston.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)