Kevin Youkilis placed on 60-day DL, done for season

Sep 28, 2011, 7:15 PM EDT

Adam Kennedy, Kevin Youkilis AP

Update: Boston made it official, placing Youkilis on the 60-day disabled list to open up a roster for Clay Buchholz prior to Wednesday’s game.

///

Kevin Youkilis hasn’t officially been ruled out for the playoffs if the Red Sox end up winning the Wild Card, but manager Terry Francona indicated today that he’s not expecting to have him back in the lineup before 2012.

“The writing is kind of on the wall,” Francona told Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal. “I don’t think you’re going to see him play again. I wish he would, and he’s tried so hard and he’s been open to doing anything. I just don’t know that’s going to happen.”

Youkilis hasn’t played since September 15 because of hip bursitis and a sports hernia, which he’ll need surgery to fix at some point during the offseason. In his absence Jed Lowrie and Mike Aviles have split time at third base, but not being able to count on Youkilis’ middle-of-the-order bat is a tough break for Boston.

1. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM

no surprise, he’s hurt all the time anyway.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 28, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Not so.

• ditto65 - Sep 28, 2011 at 8:59 PM

How much September/October ball has he played in the last two years?

2. baseballisboring - Sep 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Not okay.

3. aceshigh11 - Sep 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I know everyone who’s not a Sox fan HATES Youk, but the guy is a gamer.

He gives 100% every game. People are lying if they say they don’t want grinders like Youk or Pedroia on their team.

• bigharold - Sep 28, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Not true. I like Youkilis and your right about him being a gamer. If there is one thing I’d criticize him for it’s that he’s never seen an inside pitch he didn’t take offense to. Even with that I’d take him on my team any day.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 28, 2011 at 8:21 PM

He does rub me the wrong way at times, but when healthy, he is a very good baseball player. If he had been healthy this month, I am sure that Boston would have won at the very least, one more game this month and would have locked up the wild card race.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 28, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Exactly…ONE MORE game. Just ONE MORE game.

Ugh…all I can do is laugh at this point.

4. bloodysock - Sep 28, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Get the surgery done now and come back ready in the spring.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic