Sep 28, 2011, 10:57 PM EST
And then Dan Johnson tied it.
With the Yankees’ tying a major league record by using their 10th pitcher in a nine-inning game, Johnson delivered a game-tying homer in the bottom of the ninth to put the Rays game into extra innings on Wednesday.
Cory Wade, who was released by the Rays earlier this year, gave it up.
Johnson was brought into the game as a pinch-hitter for Sam Fuld. The line-drove homer over the fence in right was just his second in 84 at-bats this season. He had been hitting .108.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)