Sep 28, 2011, 10:57 PM EDT
And then Dan Johnson tied it.
With the Yankees’ tying a major league record by using their 10th pitcher in a nine-inning game, Johnson delivered a game-tying homer in the bottom of the ninth to put the Rays game into extra innings on Wednesday.
Cory Wade, who was released by the Rays earlier this year, gave it up.
Johnson was brought into the game as a pinch-hitter for Sam Fuld. The line-drove homer over the fence in right was just his second in 84 at-bats this season. He had been hitting .108.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)