Sep 28, 2011, 10:57 PM EST
And then Dan Johnson tied it.
With the Yankees’ tying a major league record by using their 10th pitcher in a nine-inning game, Johnson delivered a game-tying homer in the bottom of the ninth to put the Rays game into extra innings on Wednesday.
Cory Wade, who was released by the Rays earlier this year, gave it up.
Johnson was brought into the game as a pinch-hitter for Sam Fuld. The line-drove homer over the fence in right was just his second in 84 at-bats this season. He had been hitting .108.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 287
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (287)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)