Sep 28, 2011, 10:57 PM EDT
And then Dan Johnson tied it.
With the Yankees’ tying a major league record by using their 10th pitcher in a nine-inning game, Johnson delivered a game-tying homer in the bottom of the ninth to put the Rays game into extra innings on Wednesday.
Cory Wade, who was released by the Rays earlier this year, gave it up.
Johnson was brought into the game as a pinch-hitter for Sam Fuld. The line-drove homer over the fence in right was just his second in 84 at-bats this season. He had been hitting .108.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 0
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)