Sep 28, 2011, 10:57 PM EDT
And then Dan Johnson tied it.
With the Yankees’ tying a major league record by using their 10th pitcher in a nine-inning game, Johnson delivered a game-tying homer in the bottom of the ninth to put the Rays game into extra innings on Wednesday.
Cory Wade, who was released by the Rays earlier this year, gave it up.
Johnson was brought into the game as a pinch-hitter for Sam Fuld. The line-drove homer over the fence in right was just his second in 84 at-bats this season. He had been hitting .108.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)