Sep 28, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Boston’s attempt to trade for Chris Capuano last week failed, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox are still trying to acquire a veteran starting pitcher for a potential Game 163 tiebreaker tomorrow and one possible target is Bruce Chen of the Royals.
Their reported offer to the Mets for Capauno was a cash deal, so presumably the Red Sox offered the same to the Royals for Chen, who’s actually scheduled to start tonight against the Twins in Minnesota.
Tampa Bay has struggled against left-handed starters lately, so Chen–or any other veteran southpaw, really–would make sense as a last-second addition even though pitchers acquired this late wouldn’t be eligible for the postseason. Kansas City won’t know whether Boston will still want Chen for tomorrow until after he’s slated to take the mound tonight, so a late scratch would confirm that something is in the works.
On a related note: Anyone know where Pedro Martinez is right now?
UPDATE: Our own D.J. Short points out that Chen is currently projected to be a Type B free agent, in which case the Royals would seemingly need a decent prospect in return for passing up a draft pick.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)