Sep 28, 2011, 6:56 PM EDT
The Nationals weren’t sure whether it was a good idea to give Stephen Strasburg a fifth and final start on the last day of the season, but they’re probably glad they did after witnessing a stellar performance today.
Strasburg allowed just one hit over six innings and struck out 10 in a 79-pitch masterpiece against the Marlins on Wednesday. He picked up the victory — his first in five starts since returning from Tommy John surgery — in the 3-1 win.
Strasburg ends his September comebacks with a 1.50 ERA and a 24/2 K/BB ratio in 24 innings. He didn’t allow a homer. He now has a 2.54 ERA and a 116/19 K/BB ratio in 92 innings since debuting in 2010.
It’s still a ways off, but it will be interesting to see where the Nationals slot Strasburg into next year’s rotation. Strasburg figures to be their best pitcher, but Jordan Zimmermann probably deserves the nod after amassing a 3.18 ERA in his 26 starts this year. Since Strasburg will be on an innings limit next year, the Nats might decide to make him their fifth starter initially, allowing them to better control his workload.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 44
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 60
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)