Ted Williams he’s not: Jose Reyes exits finale after leadoff hit to preserve batting title lead

Sep 28, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v New York Mets Getty Images

Ted Williams famously opted against resting to preserve his .400 batting average on the final day of the 1941 season, instead going 6-for-8 in a doubleheader to finish at .406.

Jose Reyes took a different approach today, leading off the Mets’ season finale with a bunt single that raised his batting average to an NL-leading .337 … and then immediately exiting the game as fans in New York booed the decision.

They didn’t even wait for Reyes to run the bases or take his position defensively in the next half-inning. And that may end up being his final moment in a Mets uniform, which is a shame.

By adding a 1-for-1 to his season totals Reyes has made things very difficult on Ryan Braun, who now needs to collect at least three hits tonight to win the batting title.

101 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. wendell7 - Sep 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Reyes = Douche

• marshmallowsnake - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Pretty much. What a loser! Take your cuts and actually win something instead of bunting.

• florida727 - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:55 PM

What a gutless coward. I hope Braun gets 3 hits in 3 ABs and they put in a pinch runner for him as he’s standing on first base flipping off the centerfield scoreboard where the Mets score is posted.

• kolipito - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:02 PM

it wasnt his desicion, Collins said he was gona take him out in the middle of an inning so he can get an ovation.

• mkanakos - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Mets will re-sign Reyes and he will be injured for a big part of next year!

It’s the METS we’re talking about. Write it down! It’s a lock!

2. randomdigits - Sep 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Ryan Braun isn’t playing tonight is he?

• dlindstedt2 - Sep 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Resting players is hard in baseball. Its not like football. So it will be interesting to see what the Brewers do. I can see them playing their starters for at least part of the game.

• randomdigits - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Rosh Hashanah

• jimbo1949 - Sep 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Mutts continue their cluelessness, I’m hopin’ Braun goes 4/4 tonite.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I am hoping he goes 5 – 5 just on general principle.

• pack93z - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM

The Brewers have home field in the opening round to play for.. and yes he will be playing.

To me.. the Reyes move is cheap, but in a way I can understand it from his personal standpoint.. having a batting title is additional leverage to be used this offseason.. or could be used.

That said… I think ducking out that quickly also speaks volumes about putting personal goals ahead of team goals.

Either way.. A competitive guy like Braun might find motivation in it.. I would not doubt that he pulls it off. But I could also see Braun dropping down a SAC if it will help the team.

3. BG-BG-BG-BG! - Sep 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM

This dude is hurt all the freaking time!

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM

This doesn’t grind my gears all that much, but if I were a Mets fan, I’d be upset a little. Plus Ryan Braun is an equivalent douche so meh.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Admittedly NO love whatsoever for the Brewers. With that in mind…please advise why Ryan Braun is an “equivalent douche.”

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM

He comes across as a cocky prick to me. Just like Reyes. I’d love them both on my team b/c being a cocky prick is something I’m used to seeing in athletes, unlike Ayn Rand guy above and below.

• pack93z - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I can see how some might get that impression of Ryan Braun at times.. but they also don’t see the time he puts in with the fans outside of the spot light.. or being the first one out of the locker room to celebrate with the fans in Miller.. or climbing on the dugout to actually celebrate up close with the fans.

There is no doubt that Braun has some cockiness to him.. none at all.

That said.. the kid is a gamer, played mostly through his tweaks all season long. Something that can’t be stated about Mr. Heyward. :)

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I have heard other people say that about him as well. That is precisely why I asked Jason for his explanation. Please know as a Cardinals fan I would love to NOT like him. But I just don’t see it (for reasons you state above). Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:13 PM

You’re probably right. I’m basing this opinion less on fact than I usually do. I’ll let Braun be. Of course, that cocky prick could care less about me :)

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Stay classy kid. Give the people what they paid to see, that’s the Mets for ya. I hope Braun get 4 hits tonight.

• baseballisboring - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:37 PM

LAME. First keeping Isringhausen as the closer so he could reach 300 saves, and now this? I understand the Mets have nothing to play for but isn’t there some sort of pride thing where you would want to at least put yourself in a position to win as many games as possible?

6. Francisco (FC) - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Seriously? Wow, what an awful attitude. And some Phillies fans are chirping on NinJr. to sign this guy and toss out Rollins…

• b7p19 - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM

As well they should be…

7. Phillies Homer - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:08 PM

What a Joke!

My first post on this HBT site was all about how Jose Reyes is a “me first” clown (albeit in a much harsher tone) who only cares about his stats and could careless about how his team performs so long as “he gets his”. My post then proceeded to get about a million thumbs down and multiple replies talking about his “passion” for the game.

Yea… great “passion”! Uber talented player that will never sniff a ring b/c of this attitude.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM

All types of self-righteous douchebags win rings. I’d love him on the Braves, douchey or not. We had Frenchie, who was a douche AND sucked. At least Reyes is a seriously badass ballplayer.

• thefrenchyconnection - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Leave Frenchy alone!!!

8. ikedavisnose - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:12 PM

For anybody who is trashing Reyes you do relize that this is Terry Collins fault ot Reyes

• Phillies Homer - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Yea… because Reyes couldn’t say, “No, coach… I want to stay in…”

• johngaltwho - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:36 PM

He couldnt. He doesnt have enough integrity.

• nixonotis - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Reyes asked out of the game.

9. The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM

It’s worth noting that Collins said before the game that if Reyes got an early hit or two he’d pull him out so he could have a moment where the fans could applaud him, since it might be his last game in a Mets uniform. Shame to see the fans booed instead, since it was intended to be a chance to cheer Reyes for all his time in Queens.

• johngaltwho - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM

You shouldnt be surprised he was boo-ed. This was “Shea stadium” not Yankee stadium. As a New Yorker – I can attest to the fact that Yankee fans care about individual accomplishments and team championships at any price while Mets fans have a long history of appreciating the ups and downs of major league baseball and have an appreciation for the integrity of the game. I was there in 86 at game 7 and if I was there today, I would have boo’ed Reyes right off the field.

• tekton8 - Sep 29, 2011 at 2:06 AM

…you mean his DL time?

10. dailyrev - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Well he obviously got the cooperation of his mgr. on this, so one’s judgment would have extend to him as well. Whatever, maybe the kid thinks he needs this to counter the obvious negative on his marketability (his injury history). If I were a GM shopping for a top line SS, I’d be cautious about him. Tulo remains the best SS in the game, though if that kid in Chicago improves his defense and his pitch selection at the plate just a little, he’s going to win an MVP award soon. For him, Reyes, and a lot of these mega-talented kids, the future really boils down to that six inch space between the ears.

• Alex K - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Feel free to forget about Hanley Ramirez. He’s had one bad year where he was hurt for a lot of it and all of the sudden he’s not one of the best SS in baseball?

Starlin Castro is awesome (and probably my favorite MLB player), but let’s dial back any type of MVP talk.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Um, Jeter?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM

What no one liked my pro-Jeter vote? :(

11. sdelmonte - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Hey, I want a batting title in Queens. If this is how we get it, I am fine with it.

And if Braun goes 5 for 5 tonight, well, it was meant to be that way instead.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM

You can’t really be fine with this. If so…than you have to also be a fan of the whole…competition ribbon…everyone gets a trophy thing to.

• Alex K - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I’m sure he can be totally fine with it. This isn’t the first time this has happened it’s also not the last time it will happen.

How can wanting a batting title for a player on the team you cheer for by any means necessary equal everyone gets a trophy? I’m really curious about that.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Alex: Please know my comments were meant as a joke. I am essentially comparing what Reyes did to today’s competition ribbon…everyone gets a trophy mentality. I think they are both chicken shit. Sorry for not putting it more eloquently but chicken shit pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

• Alex K - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I don’t understand how Reyes pulling himself from the game seems like that to you. I’m really confused by that line of reasoning.

• Alex K - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM

And not the chicken shit thing- that’s your opinion. The ribbon thing is what I don’t get.

12. mjanik25 - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Decisions are not made with fans in mind, in any major league sport, at any time… Anybody who believes otherwise is naive.

Further, the Mets have never won a batting title and Reyes has spoken to the fact that he’d really like to be the first (and obviously, he’d like a batting title for himself, too)… A .337 average is, give-or-take, 1-for-3 every day; thus, simple probability says his average goes down if he stays in the game… If Collins/Alderson & Co. looking out for Reyes’ batting crown makes him even the absolute smallest amount happier and more likely to re-sign, isn’t this the right decision?

I’m honestly a little baffled with the negative reaction this is getting… The Mets obviously have nothing to play for, why is chasing individual accomplishments a bad thing? (it’s an individual game disguised as a team sport, after all)

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Happens all the time around sports. There’s some whiners on the board clearly. The Mets and their fans should bow to Reyes for being so awesome every healthy minute of his time there. Now he’ll leave and the Mets will suck even more. Good job Mets. You booed one of the best players to ever wear your uniform!

• sdelmonte - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Hey, don’t look at me. I wasn’t even there.

But I have never booed my own guys.

• cur68 - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Put that way, this is actually a team stat then? Likely, their first batting title. That’s part of the team’s history now, isn’t it? This is all about perception and you can clearly spot how people feel about Reyes; for some he can do no right. For others, no wrong (although where they are is a mystery to me but the laws o’chance say there has to be someone. May be its his mom?).

What if, knowing he’d get boo-ed for it, he went along with the decision to exit after a hit, to get the team something for a lost season? Selfish still? Or maybe a bit selfless? And what if, based in the fan reaction to this, he made his decision to leave or stay? Can’t say I’d blame him.

I saw the reaction to Mark Buehrle’s exit last evening, pitching in his last game ever as a ChiSox, likely. Pity, given all Ryeyes has done on that team, he couldn’t have got the same send off.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:50 PM

What a chicken shit thing to do. And you are little baffled with the negative reaction? So you are probably also okay with a slap bunt to break up a no hitter…a team stealing bases when up by 5 late in a game and the DH too. Am I right?

• cur68 - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Yes to all. It’s the opposing team’s JOB to screw up the other team’s stats. I pay to watch my boys do everything within the written rules to win or, at least not be humiliated. If you want to watch baseball played by “unwritten” rules, then good for you for even knowing what they are. I prefer my teams to show up to play, and not feature in someone else’s hi-lite reels.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:04 PM

YES TO ALL INDEED! Opposing teams can care less about their opponents’ individual or team accomplishments.

• cur68 - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Agree El Bravo. Totally agree. Notice how many walks Jose Bautista got this season? Never mind the number, that’s immaterial. Lets jut say it was a damn lot. Talk about ‘pitched around’. He’s in a tight race for the HR record this season, and what do all those pitchers do? They pitch around him. Where’s the outrage for that? It simply isn’t outrageous for all those pitchers and managers to conspire to keep his HR totals down? Isn’t there some unwritten tule that says you pitch to a guy going for a record? Or, is it in fact, smart to stay out of that guy’s HR records?

I don’t blame the Mets one bit for this salvage job and credit to Reyes, maybe knowing what the reaction would be, taking one for the team (this is at least as likely a scenario as all those negative ones being put out there).

• mjanik25 - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Agreed with these two fine gentlemen (and thanks for the backup, guys)… I’ll tell my team to stop stealing bases as soon as the other team tells me they’re not going to try to make a come back anymore… IF there is a cutoff line where it’s unacceptable (and, hypothetically, maybe there is at SOME point), it’s a LOT higher than five runs; teams score five runs in a single inning all the time.

(I’m actually pretty staunchly anti-DH, but that doesn’t haven’t anything to do with the discussion at hand)

13. Tim's Neighbor - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM

If he has a huge bonus for winning the batting title, then I can’t say I wouldn’t do the same thing.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM

There isn’t and it not allowed in the MLB apparently. Just caught that fact on ESPN during lunch…along with more facts below, which blow this post out of the water…

14. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Collins was smart to pull Reyes.

Why risk an injury for guy who is facing a huge off season?

15. johngaltwho - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM

What a pathetic joke. Great – back into a batting title with a bunt single in a meaningless game on a loser team. He may win the title but he’s lost the respect of baseball fans everywhere. He already has fewer at bats than anyone in the top 30 for average and he is afraid to finish his already shortened season. Go ahead – win the title with an asterisk and watch Braun and Fielder take Co-MVP’s. I am so proud of my brethren at Shea that boo-ed Jose chicken$hit Reyes.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM

whine on, while your team sinks further down the tubes and reyes shines elsewhere. you act like selfish athletes didn’t exist prior to today. his manager was behind him. the crap mets never had a player win a batting title before. now they will. get real.

• johngaltwho - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM

What an inane response…

my team sinks further down the tubes…
        1. My team is playing next week
        2. Relevance to the question as to the integrity of Reyes’ move today?

Reyes shines elsewhere…
        1. Remains to be seen
        2. Relevance of future success?

Selfish athletes exist – managers too…
        1. This one is too easy

The crap mets…
        1. Your most cogent response
        2. Inadequate however

People will remember the great year Reyes had in 2011 – The year he stole 39 bases and a batting title!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:06 PM

“I am so proud of my brethren at Shea that boo-ed Jose chicken$hit Reyes.” this leads me to believe you like the Mets so forgive me…otherwise I can’t even understand your nonsensical bullet point argument.

• pack93z - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Even though I don’t agree with the approach, how can one say that he backed into a batting title?

Reyes performed at a high level all season long.. at times single handedly carrying the Mets offense.. if he wins it, it is a season accomplishment not a game one.

If Kemp wins the MVP.. so be it.. he has had a great season. I might not agree with it (biased playing a part), but it would be hard to discredit it as well. Personally.. it should be a co MVP if either of the cats here in Brewtown get it… they feed off each other very well. I really wonder if Fielder had protection in the form of Weeks what type of number he may have put up this season.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM

You and I both have wondered what Prince’s numbers would look like if Rickie hadn’t gotten hurt. I am certain his Avg. would be higher. I have wondered the same thing about AP with Holliday and Freese being out for extended periods of time. Part of the game…I understand that. But it still makes you wonder.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Cur: Pitching around and/or walking a batter has absolutely nothing to do with what Reyes did. A team pitching around a batter (like Bonds, Pujols, Bautista etc…) has nothing to do with any perceived “unwritten rule.” As much as it pisses me off when teams pitch around and/or intentionally walk AP I would do no different should I be facing him. Why? Because I want my team to win. Please note the use of the word “team.” Which has nothing to do with Reyes essentially bitch slapping the game of baseball with this chicken shit move.

• cur68 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Considering how often that guy gets hurt, the lukewarm reception he gets from his own fans, the fact that with his perceived and reported “lackadaisical, not trying, lazy, hot dogging” play, he’s still the best player on that team by miles? Lemme confess something here; If that crap was being said about me, after I’d been hurt as often as he’s been hurt, playing as well as he’s been playing when healthy, then you bet your ass I’d walk out of that game, without a backwards glance, with no hint of regret, and I’d take the first batting title for the team & myself, and to hell with what those fair-weather friends have to say about it in the media or the stands. I suspect you’d have done the same; this is what real people do when they get crapped on even when they are legitimately awesome at their job. Ted Williams was loved, and no one ever said he wasn’t. Of course he did what he did the way he did it: he had every reason to do it that way, because that too is human nature. It seems like most of The Mets fans want to force Reyes into some villain role. Looks like they got what they asked for.

• kolipito - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM

if reyes took an o- for today then braun wouldnt even play would you rip him too

16. jcoan59 - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Bernie Williams does almost the same exact thing to win a batting title as an impending FA, and gets applauded.

• johngaltwho - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Yup – its a very Yankee thing to do.

• cur68 - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Which is why everyone wants to be a Yankee and NO ONE, not even Jose Ryes any more, wants to be a Met.

• hansob - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Apples and oranges. Bernie Williams left in the 6th inning after going 2 for 2 with a sac fly for a 114 win team that was up by 5 runs at the time, had already pulled other regulars out of the lineup, and was playoff bound.

Reyes left after bunting for a single in the first inning.

I’m guessing if the Mets record was 113-49 coming into the day and Reyes left like Williams left, he wouldn’t get booed. Then again, under this scenario there would be pigs flying around the stadium as well, which would be pretty distracting.

• jcoan59 - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM

So it’s ok if you are a Winning Team with a meaningless game, but if you are a losing team with a meaningless game, it makes it a horrible atrocity.

Good to hear you are level headed.

• hansob - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:24 PM

just pointing out that the situations are VERY different, and can’t be used as a barometer on Yankee fans’ obsession with individual achievement. Mets fans would ABSOLUTELY cheer Reyes today if they were on their way to the playoffs and Reyes were pulled in the 6th inning like Williams.

• uberfatty - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Bernie’s game was menaingless, but his team also had games to play in the playoffs and pulling him was partly to avoid injury as well. Apples and oranges.

17. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou - Sep 28, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Collins had said Wednesday morning: “If he gets a hit early, there’s a chance he won’t be around very long.”

On Tuesday, Collins said: “I’ll tell you what, that’s part of the business. I’ve actually seen guys being pitched around because somebody on their team is in a race.”

18. Reggie's Bush - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Admittedly I am a Mets fan…

Why are people up in arms about Reyes laying down a bunt and utilizing his speed? A hit is a hit is a hit, if I’m not mistaken.

I love Reyes and I will say, after the hammy injury he was not being started in day games after night games and last night’s game went to 14 innings. Plus Collins preemptively said he would pull Reyes and try to get him the batting title.

I’m sure this one game he comes out early means he didn’t earn the title, seeing as he qualified for it… Why no one got on Ryan Braun for sitting out 2 days ago vs Pitt when he had the lead, then pinch hit for a 1/1 night – oh yeah Brewer lost that game too.

Let’s go Mets!!!!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Thank you, voice of reason. We needed it, clearly. Never thought so much reason would come from some dude’s bush though…

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Hahaha! Yeah really…some dude’s bush. Back to Reyes. Aside from individual and/or team accomplishments and whether or teams care or not (because I can see your point)…do you no see this as a chincy, cheap, girlie…chicken shit way to get the title? Come on man…you gotta’ know this was chicken shit way to do it. No?

• johngaltwho - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Nothing wrong with using his speed and bunting for a basehit. Thats good baseball. Thats team play. There is something wrong however with not playing the game specifically to increase the likelihood that you will win a statistical battle. I really would like to see reyes’ average if he had as many at bats as everyone else. Well, Braun needs to go at least 3 for 4 and justice would prevail.

19. tuftsb - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Go back to the 1982 AL race between Willie Wilson and Robin Yount and see how Dick Howser and Billy Martin played shenanigans to see if Wilson needed to pinch hit on the last day…..and it all went downhill after that. Winning the batting title isn’t exactly the way we remember Willie.

20. plmathfoto - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Forget all of that, where the heck did a complete game 2 hit shutout against the Red by Miguel Batista of all people come from?

21. canucks18 - Sep 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I find it so funny that soooo many people will say he will never win a ring cause of this attitude??? The guy has led the league in average beginning to end, and is one of the best in the game and he is on the verge of being a batting champ and wants to preserve that. Maybe you or I would stay in the game but until you know exactly what is happening in the guys life you shouldn’t say you would never understand why he did it!
    Oh and for those of you think he wont wint a ring… Are you the same ones who were calling for Jeter to get turfed earlier in the year? Hahahaha give your heads a shake

22. chew1985 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Reyes is a punk. Whoever pays him will regret it. He is Mister DEE-ELL. Couldn’t stay healthy if his life depended on it, playing a position that is the hardest on the body of any but catching in the game. Add to that a non-functional brain and he is a waste of humanity.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Warning: this comment is really stupid. Reading it may cause your IQ to drop 7-15 points.

23. johngaltwho - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:12 PM

And… as much as I thing Reyes is a pu$$y piece of $hit with no integrity – it would be fine with me if he decided to turn over a new leaf and live a life of renewed integrity by coming over and playing for the Brewers. Would be fun to see he and Braun go head to head on the same side of the fence. Oh how I would miss Yuni B though… ; > )

24. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Okay, I went to the gym and got super tough during lunch…I kid….but I did and they have ESPN. The Reyes thing is the talk of Sportscenter. Guess what? The very headline to this post is misleading. Ted Williams himself said, and I’m paraphrasing, that if he thought .400 was a big deal (he didn’t) and if he knew it would probably never be topped again (it hasn’t so far) he would have reconsidered playing that final day to preserve his average. Thus, even Ted Williams finds no fault in Reyes’ (I’m sorry Collins’ AND Reyes’) decision. Further, Collins has been around long enough and has acknowledged this type of stuff happens routinely, but given the circumstances (impending free agent) the fans go ballistic. There other circumstances as to why Reyes should or would not have played this game,, or the at least the entire game anyway (see other comments above). Reyes deserves the benefit of the doubt doesn’t he? Instead he gets this biased post and haters hating.

Here’s my final opinion on this matter: the Mets fans who booed are idiots. You don’t deserve Reyes.

• johngaltwho - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Its a fair argument but you shouldnt pretend that there’s any doubt as to why he was pulled from the game. Right or wrong – it was 100% to increase the likelihood that he would win the batting title. I mean come on … benefit of the doubt – thats just silly.

• jcoan59 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I think they were more booing the decision.

• cur68 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Imagine if he was a Bravo. You lot would be in the post season of a week a go.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I’d love to imagine him as a Bravo.

25. johngaltwho - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM

This is just like when Strahan got the sack record because Favre laid down for him. Will always be tainted.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

There’s definitely a taint somewhere. HEYOOOO! You’re right, it’s similar, but I still find it absurd to boo him or find fault in what Reyes did. I dislike the Favre thing more, but that’s mainly b/c I’m biased and dislike Favre so much.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3475)