Sep 28, 2011, 9:13 AM EST
The Diamondbacks are still playing for home field advantage in the first round of the playoffs. And if they get it, they can thank whatever deity gave them their miracle win over the Dodgers last night.
It was tied 1-1 after nine innings. When you see a game like that, you figure that it will end on a sac fly or something. Not this one. Instead, it ended with the two teams combining for 11 runs in the 10th inning, thanks in part to a triple that ricocheted off Justin Upton‘s face (more on that later this morning), a bases-loaded walk and a walkoff grand slam. Ho-hum.
The Dodgers got five runs off Micah Owings before even making an out in the tenth, but then they scored no more. The Diamondbacks grounded out meekly twice against Blake Hawksworth, but then didn’t make another out. To the contrary, they got singles from Cole Gillespie and Miguel Montero and a walk from Chris Young. Then John McDonald reached on an Aaron Miles error. Then Javy Guerra came into the game and walked Aaron Hill with the bases loaded. Then he gave up the grand slam to Ryan Roberts. Ballgame.
If Arizona wins today and Milwaukee loses, the teams will both finish with 95-wins and the tiebreaker for home field advantage will go to Arizona by virtue of winning the head-to-head season series against the Brewers. But we’re not even talking about that if it wasn’t for last night’s insanity.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (104)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)