The Red Sox must win. Joe Biden’s life may depend on it.

Sep 28, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT

Biden Stimulus

Setting politics and plagiarism and hair plugs aside, Joe Biden is pretty awesome. He’s about the only person in high elected office who says stuff that sounds like it comes from a real human being’s mind rather than some calculation factory to which only politicians have access.

He swears. He makes dumb jokes. You get the sense that has a lot of fun being the vice president and that, if he weren’t the vice president, he could be that guy you used to live next door to back when you had the condo. The one you sort of liked seeing sometimes even if you were never really going to be friends with him. Great guy. What was his name again? Randy, I think? Or maybe it was Rick?

Anyway, Joe Biden is a Phillies fan, but he kinda sorta needs the Red Sox to win toight:

Vice President Joe Biden was in Boston yesterday and talked about why he was rooting for the Red Sox. Here’s the anecdote from the Globe’s Shira Schoenberg on our Political Intelligence blog:

Biden said his lead Secret Service man is from Boston. Before his plane landed, Biden said, “I said everyone bow their head. We’re going to say a prayer that Boston wins the wild card spot. … I’m worried if in fact they don’t, he’s going to be so damn miserable he will not jump in front of a bullet.”

Funny. If things go awry tonight you figure he may be more likely to jump in front of a bullet, but I suppose we all mourn our choking teams in our own way.

1. bobwheel - Sep 28, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Awesome is the last word I would use to describe Joe Biden.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Competent is the last word I would use to describe Joe Biden.

• yankeesgameday - Sep 28, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Because Sarah Pain would have been a better Vice President. Geez.

• Old Gator - Sep 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Name the NWBA star Joe Biden would’ve tupped.

2. vince9663 - Sep 28, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Right. A Phillies fan who does photo ops with the Yankees and is rooting for the Red Sox.

3. Bill - Sep 28, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Wouldn’t the misery actually make him more likely to do so?

• Bill - Sep 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Um, now I see that point was already made. Stupid me.

4. humanexcrement - Sep 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Seems like a fun guy to have a beer and a burger with and shoot the shit. His wizened, creaky-boned veteran of politics advisor to the President ain’t working out so well, though.

• humanexcrement - Sep 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM

“that’s advisor to the president gimmick”

5. purnellmeagrejr - Sep 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM

good piece Craig – the bullet remark is exactly the type of off the wall comment you were describing.

6. ramsyanks - Sep 28, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Biden is an idiot. Go O’S!!!!

7. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM

This is how I will picture Biden….gettin’ kicked out of Dave N Busters

8. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM

And these: http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-vicepresidency-of-joe-biden,18444/?slide=1

• Old Gator - Sep 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Well, at least he didn’t come back from Mexico with a wooden doll with a spring-out weewee like Dan Quayle did.

9. squint00 - Sep 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Joe Biden makes Dan Quayle seem like a harvard grad What an idiot

• nategearhart - Sep 28, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Dan Quayle has a J.D. and they don’t give those to just anybody and I’m pretty sure if you can’t use punctuation you aren’t allowed to opine on the intelligence level of others so there.

• leerosenthall - Sep 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM

You’re joking about them not giving J.D.s to just anybody, aren’t you? Indiana University isn’t exactly top-tier. #potatoe

• bobwsc - Sep 28, 2011 at 1:08 PM

does your stance apply to those guilty of writing run-on sentences as well?

10. hooks024 - Sep 28, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a vp to not have a ss agent jump in front of a bullet, but then again this us prolly the first time I’ve ever wanted the rays to sweep the yankees. First time for everything, I guess.

Yet another WS run for the Giants