Sep 28, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
Setting politics and plagiarism and hair plugs aside, Joe Biden is pretty awesome. He’s about the only person in high elected office who says stuff that sounds like it comes from a real human being’s mind rather than some calculation factory to which only politicians have access.
He swears. He makes dumb jokes. You get the sense that has a lot of fun being the vice president and that, if he weren’t the vice president, he could be that guy you used to live next door to back when you had the condo. The one you sort of liked seeing sometimes even if you were never really going to be friends with him. Great guy. What was his name again? Randy, I think? Or maybe it was Rick?
Anyway, Joe Biden is a Phillies fan, but he kinda sorta needs the Red Sox to win toight:
Vice President Joe Biden was in Boston yesterday and talked about why he was rooting for the Red Sox. Here’s the anecdote from the Globe’s Shira Schoenberg on our Political Intelligence blog:
Biden said his lead Secret Service man is from Boston. Before his plane landed, Biden said, “I said everyone bow their head. We’re going to say a prayer that Boston wins the wild card spot. … I’m worried if in fact they don’t, he’s going to be so damn miserable he will not jump in front of a bullet.”
Funny. If things go awry tonight you figure he may be more likely to jump in front of a bullet, but I suppose we all mourn our choking teams in our own way.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)