Sep 28, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Jon Lester is the Red Sox’ starter tonight, but given that this is basically a must-win game, it could be one of those games where the starter has a short (read: non-existent) leash. If Lester doesn’t have his mojo, where does Terry Francona turn? How about to Clay Buchholz?
That’s the possibility raised by WEEI.com, who reports that Buchholz, who was originally supposed to pitch an Instructional League game Florida, is going to stay with the team for tonight’s game with the Orioles and could in fact be activated. If he’s activated, you have to figure that he’s the top option for Francona in the event that Lester stumbles.
Buchholz hasn’t pitched in the majors since June. If he’s pitching tonight it could mean that the Red Sox’ season is effectively over. Or it could be the stuff that legends are made of.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)