Sep 28, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
First, the quote of the day from Mark Bradley of the Atlanta-Journal Constitution:
Yup. And we know this is true for reasons beyond the fact that Lowe, on general principles, sucks. We know that because the Braves were in the exact same position last year. They had a big lead — though a softer, earlier one — for a playoff spot in 2010. They blew it. Less of a collapse than it was Philly remembering that they were good and overtaking them, but they blew the lead regardless. They stumbled on offense down the stretch and then, on the final game of the season, they needed a win from Tim Hudson against a Philly team with nothing to play for in order to secure a playoff spot.
The result last year: an 8-7 win over Philly, with Tim Hudson picking up the win after giving up four runs in seven innings. As will likely be the case tonight, last year Charlie Manuel used the game to give multiple starters some work. Cole Hamels pitched two innings. Joe Blanton and Roy Oswalt each pitched an inning. There’s no Danys Baez around this year to blow it like he did last year, but Manuel will likely give multiple bullpen arms some work.
Like they say in the mutual fund ads, past performance is no guarantee of future results. But the fact is, the Braves have been here before.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 71
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)