Tim Wakefield: “I definitely want to come back next year”

Sep 28, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

This season has been a struggle for Tim Wakefield, who has a 5.12 ERA in 155 innings and went eight starts between his 199th and 200th career wins, but the 45-year-old knuckleballer told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that he wants to play a 20th season in 2012:

I’ve definitely made up my mind that I definitely want to come back next year. I have another goal in front of me that I’d like to accomplish, and that’s the all-time record for the Red Sox in wins. I’m only seven away. I think the fans deserve an opportunity to watch me chase that record. We’ll see what happens.

Wakefield might be overestimating the fans’ interest in him securing the Red Sox’s wins record, or at least relative to the number of fans who want a starter with a sub-5.00 ERA. Dating back to last season Wakefield is 11-18 with a 5.22 ERA in 295 innings, but for $1 million or so the Red Sox may decide he’s worth bringing back to eat innings again.

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I hope he comes back. He did not pitch very well this year.

• dirtyharry1971 - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM

for once i totally agree with proudly, id love to see this batting practice pitcher come back

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Goes without saying, but there are 30 teams that definitely don’t want him to come back next year

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:00 PM

That being said, if for some reason one of those teams decides they want him back then there will be 29 other teams that want him back too

3. Panda Claus - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM

If Wakefield truly wants to represent knuckle-ball pitchers in the proper fashion, he’d pitch tonight and start again tomorrow [if necessary]. He’d also offer to pitch BP in between games.

4. 18thstreet - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM

You know what? He’s the only Red Sox player I’ve never really hated at any time. (I’m a lifelong Sox fan; love and hate aren’t so far apart.) I mean, I haven’t gotten mad at Pedroia yet, but he’s still young.

Whatever he wants to do is fine with me.

5. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Not only should they bring him back but they should extend Dice K’s contract, i want to see that guy around for a LONG time. And it wouldnt hurt to extend Lackey for a few more years, oh wait he has 2 more years left!! Thank you God!!

6. aceshigh11 - Sep 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Sorry, Wake…I love the guy, but he’s got nothing left in the tank.

He bailed the Sox out during the last couple of years when starters went down, and came out of the pen for long relief…he’s been like a Swiss Army knife, but…this year?

Seven tries just to get his 200th win? I doubt he could amass 7 wins next year.

He needs to bow out gracefully before the fans start turning on him, which has already happened to an extent.

• patsandsox - Sep 28, 2011 at 7:38 PM

I agree with Aceshigh. I have alway loved Wakefield. Team player does everything asked of him, and someone I would have liked to see with the Sox all time wins record. But face it, his time has finaly come, and passed. This last half season has painful to watch, and the Sox need to dump almost all of their starters, and sign Acceves to an extension right away.

7. bigharold - Sep 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Wakefield is a professional and gentleman but I think he past it and it’s time to call it a career. Moreover, I’d be amazed if the RS FO didn’t think the same. He might get an invite to ST with nothing guaranteed but if he makes it to the regular season than something did go as planned during the off season or ST.

The two biggest memories of Wakefield are giving up the Boone HR because the way he handled it. That might have crushed a lot of people. He took it like a man and bounced back the next year. And, game 3 of the 2004 ALCS. The Nation generally tends to think that the 04 ALCS turned on Robert’s steal. I think it was Wakefield’s willingness to walk away from his game 4 start to save what was left of the RS BP when the Yankees were busy scoring 19 runs.

If this is the end, .. hail and fair well Wake.

8. Joe - Sep 28, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Sorry, Wake. I think this fan deserves the opportunity to see better pitchers on the mound for Boston.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3771)