Sep 29, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Not that Albert Pujols, the Cardinals, or any Cardinals fans care much after last night, but his streak of consecutive seasons with a .300 batting average, 30 homers, and 100 RBIs came to an end at 10.
And just barely, as Pujols finished with a .299 batting average and 99 RBIs to go along with his 37 homers.
That he came so close is pretty remarkable considering Pujols got off to a career-worst start, spent time on the disabled list with a fractured forearm, and then came back much sooner than expected from the injury.
Had the Cardinals and Braves remained tied for the Wild Card the statistics from a Game 163 tiebreaker would have counted towards Pujols’ season totals. As is he hit .355 with five homers and 20 RBIs in 26 September games.
Not only is Pujols tied with Lou Gehrig and Manny Ramirez for second place on the all-time list with 10 seasons of .300-30-100, they were the first 10 seasons of his career. Babe Ruth holds the record with 12.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)