Sep 29, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Yesterday was filled with rumors about the Red Sox working on a trade for Bruce Chen to start a potential Game 163 tiebreaker, but instead the Royals left-hander took the mound as scheduled for his start against the Twins … and tossed eight shutout innings.
Oh, and it turns out the Red Sox didn’t need a starter today anyway.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com first reported the possibility of Chen going to Boston and Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star writes that the two sides worked on a deal throughout the day, but couldn’t come to terms. Presumably had they been relatively close to finding common ground in the trade talks the Royals would have pulled Chen from the meaningless start just in case.
Chen said afterward that he hoped the trade to Boston would happen because he’s “always wanted to help a team” reach the playoffs and “you want to be the guy.” Plus, as an impending free agent there’s no guarantee the 34-year-old will remain in Kansas City anyway. As a Type B free agent he’d bring back a compensatory draft pick upon signing elsewhere, so Dutton reports that the Royals requested a pair of prospects in return.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)