Sep 29, 2011, 6:20 PM EST
Athletics GM Billy Beane said Thursday that word should come down “very soon” from the commissioner’s office on whether the A’s will be allowed to move to San Jose.
Reports have indicated that the team is in a spending freeze while waiting to hear about the future. If something is worked out that allows the A’s to move from Oakland to San Jose, Beane might have more money to play with when it comes to re-signing free agents like Josh Willingham, Coco Crisp, Hideki Matsui and Rich Harden this winter.
Beane also made it clear today that he’s only thinking about his future with the A’s and not the opening in Chicago with the Cubs.
“I have a little trip planned but I will be here,” he said.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)