Sep 29, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
Athletics GM Billy Beane said Thursday that word should come down “very soon” from the commissioner’s office on whether the A’s will be allowed to move to San Jose.
Reports have indicated that the team is in a spending freeze while waiting to hear about the future. If something is worked out that allows the A’s to move from Oakland to San Jose, Beane might have more money to play with when it comes to re-signing free agents like Josh Willingham, Coco Crisp, Hideki Matsui and Rich Harden this winter.
Beane also made it clear today that he’s only thinking about his future with the A’s and not the opening in Chicago with the Cubs.
“I have a little trip planned but I will be here,” he said.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 34
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)