Sep 29, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
Athletics GM Billy Beane said Thursday that word should come down “very soon” from the commissioner’s office on whether the A’s will be allowed to move to San Jose.
Reports have indicated that the team is in a spending freeze while waiting to hear about the future. If something is worked out that allows the A’s to move from Oakland to San Jose, Beane might have more money to play with when it comes to re-signing free agents like Josh Willingham, Coco Crisp, Hideki Matsui and Rich Harden this winter.
Beane also made it clear today that he’s only thinking about his future with the A’s and not the opening in Chicago with the Cubs.
“I have a little trip planned but I will be here,” he said.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)