Sep 29, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
Athletics GM Billy Beane said Thursday that word should come down “very soon” from the commissioner’s office on whether the A’s will be allowed to move to San Jose.
Reports have indicated that the team is in a spending freeze while waiting to hear about the future. If something is worked out that allows the A’s to move from Oakland to San Jose, Beane might have more money to play with when it comes to re-signing free agents like Josh Willingham, Coco Crisp, Hideki Matsui and Rich Harden this winter.
Beane also made it clear today that he’s only thinking about his future with the A’s and not the opening in Chicago with the Cubs.
“I have a little trip planned but I will be here,” he said.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 48
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 74
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (168)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)