Sep 29, 2011, 6:20 PM EST
Athletics GM Billy Beane said Thursday that word should come down “very soon” from the commissioner’s office on whether the A’s will be allowed to move to San Jose.
Reports have indicated that the team is in a spending freeze while waiting to hear about the future. If something is worked out that allows the A’s to move from Oakland to San Jose, Beane might have more money to play with when it comes to re-signing free agents like Josh Willingham, Coco Crisp, Hideki Matsui and Rich Harden this winter.
Beane also made it clear today that he’s only thinking about his future with the A’s and not the opening in Chicago with the Cubs.
“I have a little trip planned but I will be here,” he said.
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 12
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 39
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 38
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)