Sep 29, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Last night wasn’t all about heroic comebacks and epic collapses. Some history of a smaller, more dubious nature was made. Specifically: Eugenio Velez broke a modern-day record for a non-pitcher by going hitless in his final 46 at-bats. He did it with a grounder to second as a pinch hitter in the eighth inning against the Diamondbacks.
One wonders why Don Mattingly, presumably aware of the streak, let Velez hit in that situation when he could have just rode the pine. Maybe it was because he had already tied the record and he figured, hey, why not give him a chance to snap it with one final hit. I suppose it won’t matter too much — only Velez and some weirdos like me will remember this in two weeks — but normally baseball custom dictates that players sit in such situations.
Oh well. Sorry Eugenio, but there is at least some sort of compliment to you in all of this. Like they used to say back at the law firm, “it takes a damn good lawyer to lose a big case.” Meaning, you never get a chance to handle a big case if you weren’t good to begin with. Same with dubious baseball records. If you weren’t thought highly of in some way Mattingly never would have kept sending you out for those 46 times.
It’s OK if that doesn’t make you feel better.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 59
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 28
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)