Sep 29, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Last night wasn’t all about heroic comebacks and epic collapses. Some history of a smaller, more dubious nature was made. Specifically: Eugenio Velez broke a modern-day record for a non-pitcher by going hitless in his final 46 at-bats. He did it with a grounder to second as a pinch hitter in the eighth inning against the Diamondbacks.
One wonders why Don Mattingly, presumably aware of the streak, let Velez hit in that situation when he could have just rode the pine. Maybe it was because he had already tied the record and he figured, hey, why not give him a chance to snap it with one final hit. I suppose it won’t matter too much — only Velez and some weirdos like me will remember this in two weeks — but normally baseball custom dictates that players sit in such situations.
Oh well. Sorry Eugenio, but there is at least some sort of compliment to you in all of this. Like they used to say back at the law firm, “it takes a damn good lawyer to lose a big case.” Meaning, you never get a chance to handle a big case if you weren’t good to begin with. Same with dubious baseball records. If you weren’t thought highly of in some way Mattingly never would have kept sending you out for those 46 times.
It’s OK if that doesn’t make you feel better.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights