Sep 29, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Sorry if I’m dwelling here, but you’d dwell too if this was your team.
Of all of the stuff that happened in last night’s Braves-Phillies game, perhaps the most inexplicable was Fredi Gonzalez’s decision to pitch to Hunter Pence with two out and a runner on third in the 13th inning. Behind Pence — who has been hot and is dangerous — was Michael Martinez, who has been neither. In a game in which it seemed pretty clear that one run would make all the difference it seemed strange to assume that Fredi Gonzalez was afraid to load the bases. Indeed, creating the force out everywhere made a lot of sense even if you ignored the clear falloff from Pence to Martinez.
Or maybe it was a matchup thing? Let’s have righty Scott Linebrink face righty Hunter Pence rather than the switch-hitting Martinez? I wouldn’t agree with such an assessment — the quality difference between Pence and Martinez more than accounts for the platoon matchup in my mind — but I suppose that’s a reason.
So what did Fredi Gonzalez have to say about it last night? According to Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: nothing. When the question was asked, Gonzalez ended the interview.
No word if he asked why he turned Craig Kimbrel‘s arm into potato salad all year, but I suppose he has his reasons for that too.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)