Sep 29, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Sorry if I’m dwelling here, but you’d dwell too if this was your team.
Of all of the stuff that happened in last night’s Braves-Phillies game, perhaps the most inexplicable was Fredi Gonzalez’s decision to pitch to Hunter Pence with two out and a runner on third in the 13th inning. Behind Pence — who has been hot and is dangerous — was Michael Martinez, who has been neither. In a game in which it seemed pretty clear that one run would make all the difference it seemed strange to assume that Fredi Gonzalez was afraid to load the bases. Indeed, creating the force out everywhere made a lot of sense even if you ignored the clear falloff from Pence to Martinez.
Or maybe it was a matchup thing? Let’s have righty Scott Linebrink face righty Hunter Pence rather than the switch-hitting Martinez? I wouldn’t agree with such an assessment — the quality difference between Pence and Martinez more than accounts for the platoon matchup in my mind — but I suppose that’s a reason.
So what did Fredi Gonzalez have to say about it last night? According to Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: nothing. When the question was asked, Gonzalez ended the interview.
No word if he asked why he turned Craig Kimbrel‘s arm into potato salad all year, but I suppose he has his reasons for that too.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)