Sep 29, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
How generous of him.
James Loney, who was one of the NL’s worst regulars for four months before finally finding his strong in August, said he’d be just fine moving to the outfield if the Dodgers wanted to sign either Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder this winter.
“I’ll do anything,” he told the Los Angeles Times.
Loney went on the tear of his life from Aug. 21 through the end of the season, batting .388/.438/.679 with seven homers and 28 RBI in 134 at-bats. He had hit .254/.305/.327 with five homers and 37 RBI in 397 at-bats up until that date.
A virtual shoo-in to be non-tendered before the surge, Loney now presents the Dodgers with a difficult decision. He’s still just 27, and his likely $6 million salary in arbitration isn’t all that prohibitive. However, he’s spent four full seasons as a major league regular without being above average in any of them.
Anyway, it seems safe to say Loney won’t be the Dodgers’ left fielder next season. There’s some chance he could return as the first baseman, but if the Dodgers upgrade there, then they’ll almost certainly go cheaper in left field.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?