Sep 29, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT
Posada ended up starting just 12 of the Yankees’ final 45 games at DH (plus a couple starts at first base), but Girardi announced that he’ll turn back to Posada as the starting DH for the ALDS against the Tigers.
Girardi technically announced that Posada would be the DH versus right-handed pitchers, but the Tigers’ playoff rotation won’t feature any left-handers. All of which means Jesus Montero will begin his postseason career as a bench bat despite hitting .328 with a .996 OPS in his 18-game debut.
Posada was a mess against lefties this season, going 6-for-65 (.092) with zero homers, but he can still get the job done against righties, batting .269 with 14 homers and an .814 OPS in 316 plate appearances.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 3
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)