Sep 29, 2011, 7:34 PM EDT
Cardinals slugger Matt Holliday hasn’t played since aggravating his injured right middle finger during Tuesday’s game against the Astros. And he’ll remain sidelined even as the postseason is set to begin.
According to beat writer Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Holliday has been ruled out for Game 1 of the Cardinals’ NLDS matchup with the Phillies due to ongoing middle finger discomfort.
Allen Craig, who batted .327/.364/.692 with five home runs and 12 RBI during the month of September, will draw the start in left field instead.
Holliday was given a cortisone shot on Thursday morning and is hoping to feel well enough to play in Game 2, but he’s been in and out of the starting lineup for the past several weeks and is clearly playing through pain. With a productive backup in Craig, the Wild Card champion Cardinals don’t have to push it.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (191)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)