Sep 29, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
Major League Baseball just announced its umps and, to my surprise, fear and — on some strange level amusement — Cowboy Joe West and his notorious crew get to work the Milwaukee-Arizona series.
The whole crew: West, Ron Kulpa, Alfonso Marquez, Bruce Dreckman, and additions Jeff Kellogg and James Hoye for outfield duty. It’s a way better crew now that Angel Hernandez is off it but, you know, West is still there. And Hernandez still gets to ump in the Cardinals-Phillies series. Oh heck, let’s just look at the rest of them:
- Detroit vs. New York: Gerry Davis, Tony Randazzo, Eric Cooper, Dan Iassogna, Ted Barrett and Bill Welke;
- St. Louis vs. Philadelphia: Jerry Layne, Chris Guccione, Jerry Meals, Angel Hernandez — woot! — Gary Cederstrom and Chad Fairchild. And remember, Meals is the guy who handed the Braves that win in the 19-inning game in Pittsburgh, so that’s a strong crew there, partner.
- Tampa Bay vs. Texas: Dale Scott, Mark Carlson, Kerwin Danley, Greg Gibson, Brian Gorman and Marvin Hudson.
Just remember: being an umpire means never having to say you’re sorry. Unless you’re Jim Joyce, who did say he was sorry. And everyone likes him too. And he doesn’t get to ump in the Division Series, so there’s a lesson in that for you.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 40
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 214
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (214)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)