Sep 29, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Ned Yost and most of his staff will be back in 2012 despite a 71-91 season, but the Royals announced that pitching coach Bob McClure and bench coach John Gibbons will not return.
McClure held the job for the past six seasons, under three different managers, while Gibbons formerly managed the Blue Jays and came on as then-manager Trey Hillman’s bench coach three seasons ago.
In explaining the firings Yost told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that McClure “has done a great job, but the results are the results.” During his six seasons as pitching coach the Royals ranked 14th, 7th, 10th, 12th, 14th, and 12th in ERA.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)