Sep 29, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
A funny thing happened to the Cleveland Indians in 2011. They won a lot more games than many thought they would, especially early in the season. That led to a lot more people coming out to the ballpark — about 450,000 more — which made the team money. And because generally smart people run the Indians, they want to continue to win more ballgames and thus continue to draw more fans.
At least that’s the conclusion I reached based on GM Mark Antonetti’s comments to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that the Indians will raise payroll “significantly” in 2012.
No idea what they’ll spend it on — Antonetti wasn’t specific — but as long as they still have a place for Shelley Duncan, I’ll be cool with it.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 46
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)