Sep 29, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
A funny thing happened to the Cleveland Indians in 2011. They won a lot more games than many thought they would, especially early in the season. That led to a lot more people coming out to the ballpark — about 450,000 more — which made the team money. And because generally smart people run the Indians, they want to continue to win more ballgames and thus continue to draw more fans.
At least that’s the conclusion I reached based on GM Mark Antonetti’s comments to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that the Indians will raise payroll “significantly” in 2012.
No idea what they’ll spend it on — Antonetti wasn’t specific — but as long as they still have a place for Shelley Duncan, I’ll be cool with it.
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1