Victor Martinez needed his toe drained with a drill last night

Sep 29, 2011, 12:48 PM EST

Victor Martinez Getty Images

Victor Martinez exited last night’s game after fouling a ball off his right big toe and Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the Tigers’ medical staff had to drill a hole in the nail to drain it, but the designated hitter made it very clear that he plans to be in the lineup for Game 1 of the playoffs:

You’re going to have to kill me to keep me out of the lineup. I’m just DHing and I’m going to go out there like I’ve been doing the whole season, just go out there and battle and give my best effort.

Martinez actually remained in last night’s game for another five innings, singling in two post-injury at-bats, but then finally departed in the seventh inning when the pressure build-up made putting weight on his foot hard.

He played in 145 of 162 games in the first season of a four-year, $50 million contract, making up for just 12 homers by hitting a career-high .330 with an .850 OPS that’s nearly identical to his career mark.

Detroit opens the postseason Friday against the Yankees.

1. Old Gator - Sep 29, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I bet Cur68 would have loved to administer that treatment – after giving Martinez a placebo for an anaesthetic.

Personally, I preferred my work as a Confederate field surgeon during the Civil War in my prior incarnation – you can’t give an infantryman with a festering leg wound a “fake” leather strip to bite down on – but Cur is a gentle soul and needs to be ushered along slowly….

• cur68 - Sep 29, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I’da used a rusty nail and a hammer, buddy. Gentle soul my a$$…

Actually, I’ve had this done to an infected right hand thumbnail. The doc used a wire paperclip. It hurts like HELL. Afterwards, he decided he maybe should have put some local into my thumb first. Ever wanted to beat someone to death with an infected hand?

Vic Martinez is one tough dude if he thinks he can play with his toe in that condition.

2. Jonny 5 - Sep 29, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I had to have that procedure as well. About 5 nurses came in just to watch it happen too. I could barely walk, the dude had to have a local anesthesia on his big toe just to be able to walk.

3. ditto65 - Sep 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I have addministerd this same procedure to my thumbnail more than once when I hit it with a hammer.

I actually just used the bit and rotated it with my other hand until the pressure was relieved – looking much like a miniature version of an oil well gushing.

4. b7p19 - Sep 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I would have commented earlier, but I had to wait for IT to bring me a new keyboard after I vomited on the last one…

• cur68 - Sep 29, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Ah, now there’s a gentle soul….

5. kinggeorge96 - Sep 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I had a similar injury on my pinkie as a kid. The Dr used a paperclip and a lighter… melted a hole right through the nail. Definitely fun to watch the blood pump once that pressure is released.

6. randall351 - Sep 29, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I was a Navy Corpsman, and saw the heated paperclip used several times to melt though the nail to relieve the pressure of the blood underneath it.
    Not sure why they would bother using a drill? It’s pretty easy to heat up the paperclip and it goes right though the nail like a hot paperclip though butter.

• kinggeorge96 - Sep 29, 2011 at 2:08 PM

That it did

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5026)
  2. M. Kemp (3530)
  3. J. Upton (2761)
  4. J. Kang (2755)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2671)
  1. C. McGehee (2669)