Sep 29, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Victor Martinez exited last night’s game after fouling a ball off his right big toe and Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the Tigers’ medical staff had to drill a hole in the nail to drain it, but the designated hitter made it very clear that he plans to be in the lineup for Game 1 of the playoffs:
You’re going to have to kill me to keep me out of the lineup. I’m just DHing and I’m going to go out there like I’ve been doing the whole season, just go out there and battle and give my best effort.
Martinez actually remained in last night’s game for another five innings, singling in two post-injury at-bats, but then finally departed in the seventh inning when the pressure build-up made putting weight on his foot hard.
He played in 145 of 162 games in the first season of a four-year, $50 million contract, making up for just 12 homers by hitting a career-high .330 with an .850 OPS that’s nearly identical to his career mark.
Detroit opens the postseason Friday against the Yankees.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 2
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 3
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 48
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)