Sep 29, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
Victor Martinez exited last night’s game after fouling a ball off his right big toe and Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the Tigers’ medical staff had to drill a hole in the nail to drain it, but the designated hitter made it very clear that he plans to be in the lineup for Game 1 of the playoffs:
You’re going to have to kill me to keep me out of the lineup. I’m just DHing and I’m going to go out there like I’ve been doing the whole season, just go out there and battle and give my best effort.
Martinez actually remained in last night’s game for another five innings, singling in two post-injury at-bats, but then finally departed in the seventh inning when the pressure build-up made putting weight on his foot hard.
He played in 145 of 162 games in the first season of a four-year, $50 million contract, making up for just 12 homers by hitting a career-high .330 with an .850 OPS that’s nearly identical to his career mark.
Detroit opens the postseason Friday against the Yankees.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 89
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 42
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 31
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 24
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)