Sep 29, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Victor Martinez exited last night’s game after fouling a ball off his right big toe and Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the Tigers’ medical staff had to drill a hole in the nail to drain it, but the designated hitter made it very clear that he plans to be in the lineup for Game 1 of the playoffs:
You’re going to have to kill me to keep me out of the lineup. I’m just DHing and I’m going to go out there like I’ve been doing the whole season, just go out there and battle and give my best effort.
Martinez actually remained in last night’s game for another five innings, singling in two post-injury at-bats, but then finally departed in the seventh inning when the pressure build-up made putting weight on his foot hard.
He played in 145 of 162 games in the first season of a four-year, $50 million contract, making up for just 12 homers by hitting a career-high .330 with an .850 OPS that’s nearly identical to his career mark.
Detroit opens the postseason Friday against the Yankees.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)