Wednesday night’s timeline: yeah, things were pretty exciting

Sep 29, 2011, 9:15 AM EST

Tampa Bay Rays' Dan Johnson hits a ninth inning home run with New York Yankees catcher Austin Romine at right during their American League MLB baseball game in St. Petersburg Reuters

It’s hard to convey just how frantic and awesome last night’s baseball action was. I was lucky: I had the full-immersion thing happening, with a TV next to my computer monitor, switching between three games while on Twitter, cell phone by my side while half the world texted me.  Total, fabulous overload.

If you weren’t as plugged-in as me (a) you have a life, congratulations; and (b) you probably don’t have the same sense of the pace of the evening.  In which case you should click over to this minute-by-minute breakdown over at ESPN.com.

It’s not highlights or descriptions of the drama in purple prose. Just a list with times.  With a little imagination it’s captured pretty darn well.

1. Francisco (FC) - Sep 29, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I was lucky: I had the full-immersion thing happening

Yes yes we ALL know you have a 70″ LED screen that can split up and show ALL MLB games at the same time and full 7.1 DTS. It’s like being everywhere at the same time, we get it, we get it…

2. bobwheel - Sep 29, 2011 at 9:33 AM

The Curse of Joe Biden……

• hasbeen5 - Sep 29, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Midas:Biden

Gold:Sh**

3. j0esixpack - Sep 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM

As a Red Sox fan obviously I’m disappointed.

But as a baseball fan I know the better and more deserving team made the playoffs.

The way things played out last night couldn’t be more fitting – and it wouldn’t surprise me if the Yankees collapse allowing Tampa into the playoffs comes back to haunt them too.

Congratulations to Tampa Bay and all their fans – they deserve to be in the playoffs. The Sox did not.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 29, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Exactly.

Even as the meltdown was happening in real-time, I was scrambling to stay up-to-the-minute on what was happening. It was pretty damn exciting.

When Longoria launched the home run, I was actually relieved. This Sox team simply needed to be put out of its misery.

Congrats to the Rays, the superior team. I hope they somehow manage to win it all, or at least make it to the WS.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 29, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Crawford not making the last play of the season could not be more fitting

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM

My wife is a Sox fan. She went to bed during the rain delay and the Yanks up 7-0. I didn’t have the heart to tell her this morning the outcome. Needless to say she’s going to be pissed!

Also, love social media. Following 6-8 Yankee writers + some national ones + Craig + some Red Sox fans (Ken Tremendous) was insane. Seemed like 40-50 tweets every 10 sec.

• Alex K - Sep 29, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I don’t think I would call what the Yankees did a collapse. I would call it doig what they thought was right to get ready for the playoffs.

4. El Bravo - Sep 29, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Evan Longoria may be my new favorite player. I mean, I’ve always liked him, but wow…amazing.

5. illcomm - Sep 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM

How bout those Braves Craig.

6. yankeesfanlen - Sep 29, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Nothing like Joe Girardi making losing the new winning. Ah, for the greater good, we have a discontinuous parade of pitchers doing a third of an inning or so til we paint ourselves into a corner. And the ghost of Joe Torre comes back to reclaim Scott Proctor’s soul at the stroke of midnight as the Sox descend with Beelzebub.

7. Gobias Industries - Sep 29, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I’ve long wondered how five-time World Champion relief pitcher Mariano Rivera stays cool and calm under pressure. Now I know.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester