Sep 29, 2011, 1:25 AM EDT
Curt Schilling: Not sure what I just got done watching really happened. Most amazing, incredible, frustrating and crushing 2 hours of baseball ever.
Red Sox GM Theo Epstein: Can’t sugarcoat this. This is awful.
Orioles second baseman Robert Andino, after his game-winning hit: End of season like this, [to] make Boston go home sad, crying, I’ll take it all day.
Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia (a DNP tonight): It’s like getting punched in the nuts, basically. We busted our asses all year. It sucks to have it right there in our grasp.
Dan Barbarisi, Yankees beat reporter for the Wall Street Journal: One Yankee player watching Papelbon blow the game said the Yankee clubhouse “Celebrated like WE just clinched” when the O’s won
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz: 2003 loss to Yankees “not even close” to as bad as this year. “This is worse. Not even close.”
Former big-league pitcher C.J. Nitkowski: In the warped mind of a true die hard Yankee fan potentially losing to the Rays in the ALCS is worth Sox not making playoffs at all.
Rays double agent Carl Crawford: This is a devastating blow. We go down in history as one of the worst collapses ever. It definitely doesn’t feel good to be part of that.
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez (a DNP tonight): Just 2 hours ago it was 7-0 & 3-2. All of a sudden within eight minutes the world changes. That’s what makes baseball the greatest game.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 43
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 31
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (75)