Sep 29, 2011, 1:25 AM EST
Curt Schilling: Not sure what I just got done watching really happened. Most amazing, incredible, frustrating and crushing 2 hours of baseball ever.
Red Sox GM Theo Epstein: Can’t sugarcoat this. This is awful.
Orioles second baseman Robert Andino, after his game-winning hit: End of season like this, [to] make Boston go home sad, crying, I’ll take it all day.
Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia (a DNP tonight): It’s like getting punched in the nuts, basically. We busted our asses all year. It sucks to have it right there in our grasp.
Dan Barbarisi, Yankees beat reporter for the Wall Street Journal: One Yankee player watching Papelbon blow the game said the Yankee clubhouse “Celebrated like WE just clinched” when the O’s won
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz: 2003 loss to Yankees “not even close” to as bad as this year. “This is worse. Not even close.”
Former big-league pitcher C.J. Nitkowski: In the warped mind of a true die hard Yankee fan potentially losing to the Rays in the ALCS is worth Sox not making playoffs at all.
Rays double agent Carl Crawford: This is a devastating blow. We go down in history as one of the worst collapses ever. It definitely doesn’t feel good to be part of that.
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez (a DNP tonight): Just 2 hours ago it was 7-0 & 3-2. All of a sudden within eight minutes the world changes. That’s what makes baseball the greatest game.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 7
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)