Sep 29, 2011, 1:25 AM EST
Curt Schilling: Not sure what I just got done watching really happened. Most amazing, incredible, frustrating and crushing 2 hours of baseball ever.
Red Sox GM Theo Epstein: Can’t sugarcoat this. This is awful.
Orioles second baseman Robert Andino, after his game-winning hit: End of season like this, [to] make Boston go home sad, crying, I’ll take it all day.
Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia (a DNP tonight): It’s like getting punched in the nuts, basically. We busted our asses all year. It sucks to have it right there in our grasp.
Dan Barbarisi, Yankees beat reporter for the Wall Street Journal: One Yankee player watching Papelbon blow the game said the Yankee clubhouse “Celebrated like WE just clinched” when the O’s won
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz: 2003 loss to Yankees “not even close” to as bad as this year. “This is worse. Not even close.”
Former big-league pitcher C.J. Nitkowski: In the warped mind of a true die hard Yankee fan potentially losing to the Rays in the ALCS is worth Sox not making playoffs at all.
Rays double agent Carl Crawford: This is a devastating blow. We go down in history as one of the worst collapses ever. It definitely doesn’t feel good to be part of that.
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez (a DNP tonight): Just 2 hours ago it was 7-0 & 3-2. All of a sudden within eight minutes the world changes. That’s what makes baseball the greatest game.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 6
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 8
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)