Sep 29, 2011, 1:25 AM EDT
Curt Schilling: Not sure what I just got done watching really happened. Most amazing, incredible, frustrating and crushing 2 hours of baseball ever.
Red Sox GM Theo Epstein: Can’t sugarcoat this. This is awful.
Orioles second baseman Robert Andino, after his game-winning hit: End of season like this, [to] make Boston go home sad, crying, I’ll take it all day.
Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia (a DNP tonight): It’s like getting punched in the nuts, basically. We busted our asses all year. It sucks to have it right there in our grasp.
Dan Barbarisi, Yankees beat reporter for the Wall Street Journal: One Yankee player watching Papelbon blow the game said the Yankee clubhouse “Celebrated like WE just clinched” when the O’s won
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz: 2003 loss to Yankees “not even close” to as bad as this year. “This is worse. Not even close.”
Former big-league pitcher C.J. Nitkowski: In the warped mind of a true die hard Yankee fan potentially losing to the Rays in the ALCS is worth Sox not making playoffs at all.
Rays double agent Carl Crawford: This is a devastating blow. We go down in history as one of the worst collapses ever. It definitely doesn’t feel good to be part of that.
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez (a DNP tonight): Just 2 hours ago it was 7-0 & 3-2. All of a sudden within eight minutes the world changes. That’s what makes baseball the greatest game.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (328)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)