Sep 29, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald the White Sox initially offered to trade manager Ozzie Guillen to the Marlins for Logan Morrison before eventually settling for a pair of minor leaguers.
When the Marlins first pursued Guillen last year Morrison was reportedly the asking price as well, but with only one season remaining on Guillen’s contract and the manager clearly no longer wanted in Chicago the White Sox had relatively little leverage in the situation.
In fact, that they still ended up with a pair of decent prospects for Guillen is remarkable work by general manager Ken Williams. And once they acquired Guillen the Marlins ripped up his old contract and signed him to a new four-year, $10 million deal, so it’s not as if trading for him gave them a bargain at manager.
Plus, robbing the world of the chance to see the outspoken, oft-tweeting Morrison managed by the outspoken, oft-tweeting Guillen would have been a real shame.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 80
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)