Sep 29, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Last night Joe Girardi revealed his plans for the Yankees’ playoff rotation, announcing that CC Sabathia will start Game 1 of the ALDS against the Tigers followed by rookie Ivan Nova in Game 2 and veteran Freddy Garcia in Game 3.
Not exactly how the Yankees’ brass saw their October pitching shaking out back in spring training.
Because of the scheduling Sabathia and Nova will likely both be able to make a second start in the opening round, meaning the Yankees can rely on a three-man rotation while demoting A.J. Burnett, Bartolo Colon, and Phil Hughes to the bullpen.
Last season the Yankees had Sabathia atop the rotation, followed by Andy Pettitte and Phil Hughes, and Burnett in the fourth starter role started just one of their nine playoff games.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)