Sep 30, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 1 of the Rays-Rangers series tonight:
TAMPA BAY RAYS TEXAS RANGERS 1. Sean Rodriguez, SS 1. Ian Kinsler, 2B 2. B.J. Upton, CF 2. Elvis Andrus, SS 3. Evan Longoria, 3B 3. Josh Hamilton, CF 4. Ben Zobrist, 2B 4. Michael Young, 1B 5. Johnny Damon, DH 5. Adrian Beltre, 3B 6. Kelly Shoppach, C 6. Mike Napoli, C 7. Casey Kotchman, 1B 7. Nelson Cruz, RF 8. Desmond Jennings, LF 8. Yorvit Torrealba, DH 9. Matt Joyce, RF 9. Craig Gentry, LF SP Matt Moore, LHP SP C.J. Wilson, LHP
Pretty standard lineup for the Rangers versus left-handed pitching, with the exception of Yorvit Torrealba and Mike Napoli being in there together. Mike Scioscia’s lack of faith in Napoli defensively led to him leaving the Angels, yet Ron Washington has chosen to use Napoli at catcher and Torrealba at DH. With tons of right-handed power the Rangers’ lineup is an extremely tough first assignment for Rays left-hander Matt Moore.
Tampa Bay’s lineup versus lefty C.J. Wilson is much less standard, as it includes three left-handed hitters in the bottom five spots. Mostly that just means manager Joe Maddon has opted not to platoon Matt Joyce, who hit just .217 off lefties. Wilson has a nearly identical platoon split this season, faring equally well versus righties and lefties, but he was almost unhittable versus lefties in 2010.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)