Sep 30, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 1 of the Rays-Rangers series tonight:
TAMPA BAY RAYS TEXAS RANGERS 1. Sean Rodriguez, SS 1. Ian Kinsler, 2B 2. B.J. Upton, CF 2. Elvis Andrus, SS 3. Evan Longoria, 3B 3. Josh Hamilton, CF 4. Ben Zobrist, 2B 4. Michael Young, 1B 5. Johnny Damon, DH 5. Adrian Beltre, 3B 6. Kelly Shoppach, C 6. Mike Napoli, C 7. Casey Kotchman, 1B 7. Nelson Cruz, RF 8. Desmond Jennings, LF 8. Yorvit Torrealba, DH 9. Matt Joyce, RF 9. Craig Gentry, LF SP Matt Moore, LHP SP C.J. Wilson, LHP
Pretty standard lineup for the Rangers versus left-handed pitching, with the exception of Yorvit Torrealba and Mike Napoli being in there together. Mike Scioscia’s lack of faith in Napoli defensively led to him leaving the Angels, yet Ron Washington has chosen to use Napoli at catcher and Torrealba at DH. With tons of right-handed power the Rangers’ lineup is an extremely tough first assignment for Rays left-hander Matt Moore.
Tampa Bay’s lineup versus lefty C.J. Wilson is much less standard, as it includes three left-handed hitters in the bottom five spots. Mostly that just means manager Joe Maddon has opted not to platoon Matt Joyce, who hit just .217 off lefties. Wilson has a nearly identical platoon split this season, faring equally well versus righties and lefties, but he was almost unhittable versus lefties in 2010.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (85)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (78)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (74)