Sep 30, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 1 of the Tigers-Yankees series tonight:
DETROIT TIGERS NEW YORK YANKEES 1. Austin Jackson, CF 1. Derek Jeter, SS 2. Magglio Ordonez, RF 2. Curtis Granderson, CF 3. Delmon Young, LF 3. Robinson Cano, 2B 4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B 4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B 5. Victor Martinez, DH 5. Mark Teixeira, 1B 6. Alex Avila, C 6. Nick Swisher, RF 7. Ryan Raburn, 2B 7. Jorge Posada, DH 8. Jhonny Peralta, SS 8. Russell Martin, C 9. Brandon Inge, 3B 9. Brett Gardner, LF SP Justin Verlander, RHP SP CC Sabathia, LHP
Pretty standard lineup against left-handed pitching for the Tigers, with Brandon Inge starting over Wilson Betemit at third base and Magglio Ordonez starting over Andy Dirks in right field. Ryan Raburn is at second base with Carlos Guillen injured. It’ll be interesting to see if sticking with Delmon Young in the third spot pays off for Jim Leyland, because in theory he wants as many runners on base as possible for cleanup hitter Miguel Cabrera and Young has a .302 on-base percentage this year.
Joe Girardi announced earlier this week that Jorge Posada will be the Yankees’ designated hitter versus right-handed pitchers and the Tigers don’t have a left-handed starter going in the ALDS, so Jesus Montero will serve as a bench bat. Girardi is also sticking with his late-season batting order switch that moved Robinson Cano into the No. 3 spot and slid Mark Teixeira into the No. 5 spot. In all six of the Yankees’ nine hitters will bat from the left side versus Justin Verlander.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69