Sep 30, 2011, 5:45 PM EST
Here are the lineups for Game 1 of the Tigers-Yankees series tonight:
DETROIT TIGERS NEW YORK YANKEES 1. Austin Jackson, CF 1. Derek Jeter, SS 2. Magglio Ordonez, RF 2. Curtis Granderson, CF 3. Delmon Young, LF 3. Robinson Cano, 2B 4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B 4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B 5. Victor Martinez, DH 5. Mark Teixeira, 1B 6. Alex Avila, C 6. Nick Swisher, RF 7. Ryan Raburn, 2B 7. Jorge Posada, DH 8. Jhonny Peralta, SS 8. Russell Martin, C 9. Brandon Inge, 3B 9. Brett Gardner, LF SP Justin Verlander, RHP SP CC Sabathia, LHP
Pretty standard lineup against left-handed pitching for the Tigers, with Brandon Inge starting over Wilson Betemit at third base and Magglio Ordonez starting over Andy Dirks in right field. Ryan Raburn is at second base with Carlos Guillen injured. It’ll be interesting to see if sticking with Delmon Young in the third spot pays off for Jim Leyland, because in theory he wants as many runners on base as possible for cleanup hitter Miguel Cabrera and Young has a .302 on-base percentage this year.
Joe Girardi announced earlier this week that Jorge Posada will be the Yankees’ designated hitter versus right-handed pitchers and the Tigers don’t have a left-handed starter going in the ALDS, so Jesus Montero will serve as a bench bat. Girardi is also sticking with his late-season batting order switch that moved Robinson Cano into the No. 3 spot and slid Mark Teixeira into the No. 5 spot. In all six of the Yankees’ nine hitters will bat from the left side versus Justin Verlander.
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal 0
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)