ALDS Tigers-Yankees Game 1 Liveblog: POSTPONED

Sep 30, 2011, 10:24 PM EDT

Yankees' Sabathia waits to catch fly balls during workout day before their MLB American League Division Series against the Tigers begins in New York

10:24: Live blog over, kids. Back to some normal posting. And “Ghostbusters.” The boys just got arrested and the EPA man is going nuts. Enjoy!

10:21: They’ve postponed the game. Same game time tomorrow, but it will still be Game 1, picking it  up in the 2nd. Sunday will be Game 2 at 3:07PM. No day off, Monday in Detroit.

10:17: Worth noting: because of the rules changes from 2009, they won’t just scrub this game. Playoff games that are suspended have to be played to their conclusion, so they’d pick it up again in the third inning with the score tied 1-1.  No word on whether they’ll suspend it yet, but it’s still pouring in New York. Looks grim.

10:13: Sigourney Weaver in her Zuul phase: pretty important to me when I was, like, 11 years-old. Just sayin’.

10:00: Gozer was very big in Sumeria. Big time.

9:52: People at the ballpark tweeting that it is pouring even worse now. After they took the tarp on and treated the field. This is awesomeness. They may bang this game. Which kind of throws a wrench into this liveblog, but hell, I’ll stick with “Ghostbusters” until it’s over if that’s what it takes.

9:48: Also, even if Ecklersley is saying something that is 100% truthful, his manner is of the man you meet at a semi-seedy bar who has all kinds of theories about how the government is out to get you and stuff.

9:46: David Wells talking about how long you can go after a rain delay. He has always been a conundrum for me. Obviously didn’t take care of himself. Like, at all.  But he was a durable mofo.  If Kruk didn’t say that line about “I ain’t no athlete, I’m a ballplayer,” Wells would have eventually said it himself.

9:42: Tarp is off. They’re treating the field. But the radar is icky. We may be with “Ghostbusters” for a while. “That must be some cockroach.”  “Bite your head off, man.”

9:37: Commercial for the “Footloose” remake. We needed that like we need a “Ghostbusters” remake. Oh, wait

9:28: “Type something, will you? We’re paying for this stuff.”

9:24: “Ghostbusters” is on VH-1 right now. So, like, someone tell me when this ballgame starts again. Until then, there is no baseball. There is only Zuul.

9:16: I wish this was a Braves game on TBS in the late 1980s so they’d show “Two Mules for Sister Sarah” during the rain delay.

9:09: And the tarp is out.

9:04: They gotta get the tarp out there.

9:02: Ugh, really coming down now. Just what everyone wants from the Sabathia-Verlander matchup: a long rain delay that puts A.J. Burnett in the game.

9:00: Verlander threw 25 pitches in that first inning. That’s definitely a pattern the Yankees would like to see repeated for a few innings.

8:58: End of 1. Tigers 1, Tigers’ defensive indecisiveness 1.

8:57: And it’s pouring rain. The rich people behind the plate pretty much sprinted back to whatever luxury digs they have back in rich person land.

8:55: And we’re tied. Looked like they could have gotten Jeter at home. I’ve got this notion that defensive miscues will cost the Tigers a game in this series. These aren’t egregious or anything, but they’re giving me the willies.

8:53: Eeek. Looked like Cabrera had the easy out at second base. Oh well.

8:52: Anderson called Avila “a good catch and throw guy.” Which he is, but it’s worth noting that Jeter’s on base because Avila could neither catch nor throw strike three.

8:48: Jeter probably stuck out on purpose in order to reach. Totally professional move on his part.

8:43: Top of the first over: Right field porch 1, Yankees 0.

8:41: Delmon Young homer. Caught by a guy from Geneseo — on the sweatshirt — who looked a little too happy to be catching an opponent’s homer.

8:39: Also: Anderson likes to call lineup slots the “___-hole.”  Often. That will not get old.

8:36: I like Brian Anderson as an announcer, but someone should tell him that Alex Avila is not a rookie.

8:34: I like the Nissan truck commercial. I don’t like Deion Sanders commercials. That is all.

8:30: TBS promo: “Legends are born in October.”  Which I suppose means that nothing legendary will happen in this game. Night folks!

8:23:  Hey, Halladaysbiceps is back!  Welcome back, sir.  Comments just got more … interesting.

8:22: Cal Ripken and David Wells in the studio show have me sayin’ “man, that’s some BALD.”  Eckersley, however, has his hair feathered like the wings of a majestic bird.

8:20: A reader asks on Twitter: “Don’t bosses typically hire people to do things like liveblogging for them?”  Hurm.  Good point. And I’m guessing all the other HBT bloggers are off getting their Friday night drink on.  As always, I’m a sucker.

8:13: Come on in. Sit right down.  Get your refresh button good and loose, because I’m going to be live-blogging this game. LIKE A BOSS.

1. phenom - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Here’s to the road teams winning!

2. halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Like a boss. I love that phrase that the younglings came up with. My guess that Verlander will be “Like a boss” in this game.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Look who’s back!

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Damn right! I could not stay away, with playoff baseball and such. Also, I need to keep these overzealous Cards fans in check out of respect for my beloved Phillies.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 9:29 PM

For your rain delay viewing pleasure, I give you kung fu Joe:

• frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 30, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Sorry I was a jackass last time you were here. Maybe I don’t agree with how you argue – but I am glad you have returned.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Fair enough. We will leave it at that. I appreciate your honesty and am sorry if I offended you in the past. I just discuss things as I see it.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 30, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Truth be told I do agree with a lot of what you say – just didn’t care for the aggressive nature that you ague sometimes.

But I am drinking milk now and I am going to try and be more of a man. ha ha

3. phenom - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I just thumbed-up my own comment, like a boss.

4. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM

i dont see the Yanks winning this series but at least they kept the redscum out and craig was wrong on his AL east pick so my season is complete.

• phenom - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

It’s the little things that matter.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM

1. Yankees didn’t keep the Red Sox out of the playoffs. The Red Sox did that to themselves.
      2. People make predictions and are sometimes wrong.
      3. You still suck as a commenter. Nothing has changed since I have been away from commenting.

5. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I am amped for this game. Verlander v CC…..doesn’t get much better. Unless the Phillies are playing.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Of course, Good Doctor. It would only get better for us to see Halladay vs. Sabathia.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Actually, I would love to see Verlander v Halladay.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Good Doctor, you’re crazy. I want to see a Yankees/Phillies WS rematch. Where I would love to see the Verlander/Halladay matchup in a perfect world, I want the Yankees in the WS. Revenge is a bitch!

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Yeah, I agree with that. I would like a measure of revenge as well. I was strictly speaking as far as pitching match ups go.

• ditto65 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM

May chance he just wants to watch the Pheelies lose to someone else?

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM

ditto,

The Phillies ain’t losing to anyone this year. Everyone knows it.

6. phenom - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:32 PM

John Smoltz working this game? Was Doyle Alexander busy?

7. tpxdmd - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:32 PM

A) What’s with this weird ad that keeps blocking my view of this blog in the upper left?
    B) Why are the experts acting like the Yankees have no pitching?

8. phenom - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Fun fact: Alex Avila – not a rookie.

9. cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Back from walking the dog and resupplying the beer. Hi all.

So, Cap’n Crunch vs. Verlander (we need a good nickname for this guy; if anyone’s got a handle I’m listnin’). I like Verlander but no doubt about it Cap’n Crunch has some weight behind his pitches. 1st pitch now. The madness has begun!

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Whatever the nickname, it should have Captain in it. That is mandatory.

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Cap’n Boss?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Why are you putting an “N” in there?

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:46 PM

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I’m aware of the cereal my friend…we do have that here stateside. Maybe Captain Cool?? Though that isn’t all that catchy.

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Well, the name seems to be a version of “See Lander” in ether Spanish or German, I can’t tell. Anyone have any idea what a “Verlander” is?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:55 PM

A small nocturnal rodent?

• ditto65 - Sep 30, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Apparently CC has a taste for Cap’n Crunch. Believe it was documented as one of the reasons for his “husky” build.

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Hi ditto; this is exactly why he is Cap’n Crunch.

10. mplsjoe - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Why is this not a “real” liveblog, like for the Rays/Rangers game?

11. cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:39 PM

DPWN goes Jackson! Cap’n Crunch on FIRE.

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Magglio, now. Never should have cut that hair. Curls get the girls.

12. DaGooch1979 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Looking forward to this series. Would rather this have been the ALCS, but them’s the breaks.

13. mplsjoe - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Delmonsie batting third for the Tigers. The Twins didn’t need him.

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM

DELMON YOUNG! Deep off Cap’n Crunch!

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Like a boss :)

• mplsjoe - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Yup. Didn’t need him.

14. visnovsky - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I hate Delmon Young.

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Ah he probably doesn’t like you either, so fairs fair. Pretty good for a bald guy, eh? Mashing one off Cap’n Crunch makes up for having all that face to wash.

• visnovsky - Sep 30, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I hate the Yankees more than I hate Delmon Young.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Young hates CC Sabathia, apparently.

15. phenom - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM

That’s what happens when you play in a Little League field.

16. sknut - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:43 PM

You don’t see a 3 team trade where everyone wins, but I think we can say that about the Ari-Det-NYY one from two years ago.

17. jya87 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Dodger fan checking in. It’s a pleasure seeing Russell Martin catching. Gotta credit Delmon Young for giving that ball a ride, but Sabathia missed the location Martin spotted him.

Miss having Martin in Dodger blue.

18. cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Verlander > Jeets. Like, who didn’t know that? Jeets still got enough wheels though. Juuuuust enough wheels.

19. mplsjoe - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Only Cap’t Jeets would think to help both teams – Verlanders stats and the Yanks’ O.

20. halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:51 PM

This crazy chat is getting in the way of my drinking beers, smoking and watching the game. I need to back off a bit.

21. cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Should have been a DP. Too bad Miggy.

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:55 PM

There was play at home! WTF!

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Raining now. All it does is rain on Craig. When is he gonna apologize sincerely to Aquaman? Why must we all suffer because of him?

• mplsjoe - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Throw out Cap’t Jeets? Impossible.

22. phenom - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Has Verlander thrown a ball over the plate yet?

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Dunno, but Cap’n Crunch getting some calls early. Watching Martinez run on his bad foot is agonizing to see. Here’s our “rookie” Avila in his 3rd year apparently. Now veritably pissing with rain. Aquaman is pouring it on.

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Know what happens if you let your cereal get too wet? It gets soggy. Cap’n Crunch gettin’ soggy. Hasn’t hurt his pitching any, though. Lets see if small nocturnal rodents mind the humidity that Aquman in his divine vengeance has seen fit to bless us with, eh?

23. RickyB - Sep 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM

OK, I went and took care of about five different things during the commercial, and when I got back to the TV, the inning still hadn’t started. This game will last at least 3:30, and that’s taking the rain into account. I still wouldn’t want to watch any other sport for that long. Baseball, it’s all good.

• RickyB - Sep 30, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Oops. Meant that’s NOT taking the rain into account.

24. phenom - Sep 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Tarp coming out according to Jason Beck

25. phenom - Sep 30, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Hey, Top 10 Football Factories is on the NFL Network!

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3686)