Cardinals broadcaster Dan McLaughlin was arrested for DWI last weekend

Sep 30, 2011, 11:00 AM EST

Dan McLaughlin mugshot

I’m not going to say they’re related or anything, but the fact is that there have been a LOT of alcohol-related incidents in and around the St. Louis Cardinals over the past several years.  The latest: broadcaster Dan McLaughlin, who does Cardinals play-by-play for FOX Sports Midwest, was arrested on Sunday for driving while intoxicated. The report says he caused a single-car accident but that no one was hurt.

This is not McLaughlin’s first such arrest. He is apparently still on probation from an incident that occurred a year ago. So, no, the judge ain’t gonna like this.  He has also been suspended from his job, though given that FSM won’t have any Cardinals games until next spring, it’s not clear how long this will last or if he’ll miss air time.

Anyway, there’s a lesson in all of this: don’t be a dumbass, people.  Really. It’s not that hard.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:09 AM

At his guilty plea, McLaughlin said the arrest “taught me the most valuable lesson of my life.”

What lesson…that he is a dumbass?

• uberfatty - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:26 AM

“It ain’t against the law if you dn’t get caught.”

Also, “Grab some Buds.”

• Jonny 5 - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:26 AM

What did he forget that lesson already?

Well it’s a good thing he didn’t crash into another person….

• purnellmeagrejr - Sep 30, 2011 at 1:49 PM

some lessons are so important you have to learn them over and over again.

2. technomatt1 - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Actually, Craig, it is that hard in St. Louis. They’re geographically predisposed.

3. mvp43 - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM

La Russa a drunk too…….

4. shawnuel - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Cue the “drinking with LaRussa” jokes.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Isn’t that a drinking Game? Each time LaRussa brings in a pinch-hitter or a pinch-runner or goes to the Bullpen… take a shot….

• paperlions - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Yeah….I never make it past the 7th inning.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

lmao!!! FC, can you give me a link, i need an update on the lair.

5. shawnuel - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:32 AM

“Anyway, there’s a lesson in all of this: don’t be a dumbass, people. Really. It’s not that hard.”

Tell that to Frank McCourt. (and….That’s what SHE said)

6. paperlions - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Not defending the driving part…but if you had to work next to Hrabosky everyday, you’d drink a lot too.

• thefalcon123 - Sep 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I remember back in 98 or 99 when he was just starting with FSM (Joe Buck was still doing the Cards games that time). He and Al did not get along *at all*. At one point, Dan (a much thinner Dan. What the hell happened?) interviewed some player and sent it back up to the box. Here is the what was said as best as I can remember it (remember, this was all live on-air).

Dan: Thanks you Brian Jordan. Have a great game. Back to you Joe. A you too dummy! (jokingly calling Al dummy)

Al (angry): Excuse me? What did you call me!

Dan: Sorry, I was just kidding

Al (still angry): Well don’t. That is very disrespectful. Never do that again!

(five innings later)

Joe: Dan is standing by with Walt Jocketty
      (cut to Dan in the stands with Walt Jocketty)

Dan: I’m really, really sorry Al. I was just trying to have some fun and I took it to far.

Al (still angry five innings later): That was disrespectful. I don’t wanna hear that nonsense again.

He then spent the next 13 years working 4 inches away from Al. I think we’ve uncovered the root cause of his drinking.

• paperlions - Sep 30, 2011 at 1:12 PM

…and he was right….Al is a dummy.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4855)
  2. M. Kemp (3444)
  3. J. Upton (2524)
  4. J. Kang (2490)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2468)
  1. C. McGehee (2446)