Sep 30, 2011, 3:47 PM EST
Tony La Russa announced a change in the Cardinals’ presumed playoff rotation, going with Chris Carpenter on short rest in Game 2 against the Phillies.
Carpenter threw a complete-game shutout against the Astros on Wednesday, allowing just two hits and one walk, but did need 106 pitches. And as Jayson Stark of ESPN.com notes, Carpenter has never made a start on short rest in his entire 14-year career. And that includes the playoffs.
Kyle Lohse will start Game 1 for the Cardinals and La Russa will go with Jaime Garcia in Game 3. No word yet on the Game 4 assignment, but Edwin Jackson seems likely, with Jake Westbrook the other possibility.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)