Sep 30, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT
Tony La Russa announced a change in the Cardinals’ presumed playoff rotation, going with Chris Carpenter on short rest in Game 2 against the Phillies.
Carpenter threw a complete-game shutout against the Astros on Wednesday, allowing just two hits and one walk, but did need 106 pitches. And as Jayson Stark of ESPN.com notes, Carpenter has never made a start on short rest in his entire 14-year career. And that includes the playoffs.
Kyle Lohse will start Game 1 for the Cardinals and La Russa will go with Jaime Garcia in Game 3. No word yet on the Game 4 assignment, but Edwin Jackson seems likely, with Jake Westbrook the other possibility.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (113)