Sep 30, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
After failing to make the playoffs in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2000/2001 the Angels will be “creative” and “aggressive” this offseason, according to general manager Tony Reagins.
Reagins told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that “we’re not going to sit back and let things come” and “we’re going to try to improve the club.”
Of course, that may be easier said than done because the Angels have committed $100 million to just nine players for next season–which doesn’t include big raises for arbitration-eligible guys–and DiGiovanna writes that their projected payroll is around $120-$130 million.
“Creative” and “aggressive” are tough when you only have $25 million to throw around and plenty of holes to fill, but that’s what happens when the GM absorbs Vernon Wells‘ massive contract and gives Bobby Abreu a $9 million option for 2012.
DiGiovanna calls it “doubtful” that the Angels will pursue Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder as free agents, instead speculating that they might make a run at shortstop Jose Reyes and then possibly deal an incumbent middle infielder–Erick Aybar or Howie Kendrick–for pitching help.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)