Sep 30, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Earlier this week we learned that Frank McCourt and the Dodgers, in their battle with Major League Baseball, wanted to take discovery of other teams like the Marlins and the Mets in order to establish that they were held to a different standard than the Dodgers were being held to. Today the judge ruled: sorry Frankie.
Bill Shaikin reports that the judge ruled that ”[t]his hearing is a not a referendum on the Commissioner or other baseball teams …” and that he’s done listening to the parties offering “allegations and innuendo” and wants to put an end to what he called a “sideshow.”
He has set a hearing, beginning on October 31st, in which Bud Selig and Frank McCourt will testify in person and the judge will determine whether or not MLB has been jerking McCourt around, thereby weakening baseball’s claim that McCourt had violated its debt, capitalization and other rules. If it is found that baseball has treated McCourt fairly, it could be the beginning of the end of his reign as owner.
This has to be construed as a big win for baseball, as the financials and side deals to which other clubs are subject are something baseball does not want brought out into public.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 29
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 10
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games