Sep 30, 2011, 8:09 PM EDT
Pretty much any team other than the Rays would have given Matt Moore an opportunity months ago. Fortunately, Tampa Bay did find some room for him in the end.
Making just his second big-league start and fourth appearance, Moore blanked the Rangers for seven innings on Friday and, supported by a pair of homers from Kelly Shoppach, picked up the victory in a 9-0 game.
Moore was never in serious trouble while giving up just two hits and two walks. He touched 98 mph on the gun and struck out six.
Moore’s Rangers counterpart couldn’t compare. After posting a 1.21 ERA in September, C.J. Wilson entered the series as hot as any pitcher in the postseason. However, he gave up eight runs — six earned — and three homers in this one.
With one in the second, Johnny Damon started it off by hitting just the third homer Wilson has given up to a left-hander this season. Shoppach then added a three-run homer in the third and a two-run blast in the fifth.
The loss at home with their best starter on the mound leaves the Rangers in a big hole here. Now they’ll have to beat Rays ace James Shields on Saturday to have much of a chance in the series. The good news is that Shields hasn’t been at his best lately. Also, the Rangers will get to play in the evening and their offense was much better in night games than day games this year. Still, they may need their own young left-hander, Derek Holland, to come through with the same kind of performance that Moore did today.
- The two homers gave Shoppach five RBI. He didn’t drive in more than two runs in any of his 87 appearances this season, and he ended the year with just 22 RBI (despite having hit 11 homers) in 221 at-bats.
- Shoppach was the first player since Ryan Howard in Game 4 of the 2008 World Series to have two homers and five RBI in a postseason game. He joined Yogi Berra, Gene Tenace, Johnny Bench, Gary Carter, A.J. Pierzynski and Mike Napoli as the only catchers to have two-homer games in the postseason.
- Hamilton was initially credited with a sacrifice bunt while the Rangers were down 8-0 in the sixth. He was going for the hit, of course, but since it moved Elvis Andrus up to second, the sacrifice was awarded. Fortunately, the official scorer came to his senses and reversed his decision two innings later.
- Hamilton had both Rangers hits in the game. He had as many hits today as he did in the ALDS against the Rays last year (2-for-18) and as he did in the World Series loss to the Giants (2-for-20).
- Damon’s homer was his 10th in 249 postseason at-bats, giving him a home run rate 66 percent higher in October than his regular-season rate (he’s averaged six homers every 249 regular-season at-bats in his career). He’s the 33rd player in big-league history to reach double-figures in postseason home runs.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Josh Donaldson gave the Athletics a spark when he delivered a walk-off two-run home run in the 10th inning against the Phillies on Sunday.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
It seems soon-to-be free agent Russell Martin is on his way to a big payday in the off-season, but Pirates GM Neal Huntington still intends to keep the catcher in a Pirates uniform.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Joe Maddon’s Rays are just one piece of the puzzle that has been the MLB-wide drop in offense over the last five years.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
More bad news for the snakebitten Rangers: Jurickson Profar won’t play in the Arizona Fall League due to lingering soreness in his right shoulder.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Marcus Stroman’s suspension for throwing at Caleb Joseph’s head has been reduced from six to five games.
Sep 21, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Corey Kluber is a pretty good pitcher. He became the first pitcher since Randy Johnson in 2004 to strike out 14+ batters in back-to-back starts.
Sep 21, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
It’s official: the Braves will not be playing post-season baseball in 2014.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Yankees ace Masahiro Tanaka looked sharp Sunday in his first start since July 8, scattering five hits over 5 1/3 innings of one-run ball in a 5-2 win over the visiting Blue Jays. He struck out four batters, did not issue a walk, and only went to one three-ball count all afternoon.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
This sure looked like an RBI double for Kevin Frandsen of the Nationals before Marlins outfielder Enrique Hernandez raced to the corner and laid out to pull off a slick snowcone catch …
Sep 21, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Tigers right-hander Anibal Sanchez suffered a strained pectoral muscle on August 8 and then reaggravated it August 25. But he’s making swift progress now …
Sep 21, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Rangers outfielder Alex Rios hasn’t appeared in a game since September 4 due to a nagging right thumb injury, and he’s not going to be rushed back for the final week.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Astros pitching coach Brent Strom announced Sunday that ace left-hander Dallas Keuchel won’t make another start this season.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
It’s been a lost season for the Yankees’ outfielder.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
A far more recent past than most people will admit.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
His presence will give the Nats a ton of flexibility down the stretch.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Like we always say: he giveth and he taketh away. Yesterday he gaveth.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
He said it rather than tweeted it. Which is sad, because I had good money on it coming out “your just an idiot” if he had tweeted it.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Bud Black will be back for year nine at the helm of the Padres.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
The Royals are not doing too well in the biggest series to hit Kansas City in 29 years.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Nick Franklin hit the “C” ring catwalk at Tropicana Field with a deep fly ball to right field, which was initially ruled a home run. Replay review confirmed the ruling.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)