Philadelphia, St. Louis mayors make a beer bet

Sep 30, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT

Michael Nutter AP

Because beer and baseball go hand in hand… and not just in the Boston clubhouse.

Philadelphia mayor Michael Nutter and St. Louis mayor Francis Slay have made a friendly wager on the results of their teams’ NLDS series.

Nutter is putting up beer from several local microbreweries against the St. Louis-based Budweiser being offered by Slay.

Which seems fair, given that the Phillies are overwhelming favorites in the series. Slay certainly wasn’t going to risk the good stuff.

On a more sober note, couldn’t the mayors have found another commodity to play up? The Cardinals had a pitcher die drunk driving four years ago, their manager has a DUI offense on his record and their play-by-play guy just got his second DWI over the weekend.

1. Kevin S. - Sep 30, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Philly laying excellent odds there, trying to entice some action.

2. kingjoe1 - Sep 30, 2011 at 7:06 PM

First that crap they are calling beer in St Louis aint beer. Secondly, stop trying to make something out of nothing. There are plenty of writers and tv personalities with drinking problems, but it doesnt stop the stations from accepting ads from beer companies. Even to bring it up is pure sensationalism. Usually that is done because the content is so boring, the writer needs to try to make something out it.

• marshmallowsnake - Sep 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

LOL! I was going to say, St. Louis will now win because fate would never pawn Bud off on anyone. Sorry Philly, but the better beer may be your downfall :(

• cintiphil - Oct 1, 2011 at 8:11 AM

We have a lot of beers in Cinti. However, more people drink Bud and Mich. than any other. Why? Because people like it. I drank beer all over central Europe and the best I found in Austria and Czech Repub. They mostly taste a lot like BUDWISER.

• purnellmeagrejr - Oct 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM

cinti – that’s because (more or less) Budweiser originally came from a place called Budweiser in Southern Bohemia. Who’d a thunk drinking Budweiser is Bohemian? Who’d a thunk Chevrolet was founded by a Frenchman? Next we’ll find out apples originated in Turkey.

3. proudlycanadian - Sep 30, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I did not know that Bud was beer.

• Old Gator - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Well, I hope those two mayors won’t drink the stuff on their days off. I hear the mayor of Boston will only drink when he’s working from now on.

4. deathmonkey41 - Sep 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I don’t drink beer all that often, but just picked myself up a case of Hoegaarden to watch the Yanks tonight.

• purnellmeagrejr - Oct 1, 2011 at 9:45 AM

I don’t always drink beer, either but when I do I drink beer from a company that used to have a clever ad campaign..

5. spudchukar - Sep 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

True, the Philly Beer is much better, but if you really want quality beer you need to visit the Northwest, where we put that East Coast Crap to shame. This is as braggadocio as I get. Maybe you are lucky to have the better beer, easier to drown your sorrows.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:10 PM

You talk your Cardinals BS and aren’t even from St. Louis? You live in the Northwest? Yeah, you will need to be drowning your sorrows, after the Phillies smoke the Cards.

• paperlions - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Not everyone lives two blocks from where they grew up….who knows, leaving your home town might even help people gain perspective and not be ignorant jack asses….just a theory. Obviously, living in multiple states and countries hasn’t kept me from being a jackass….but at least I’m not an ignorant one.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 30, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I’m a Rams fan and grew up in Giants country- now I live in Eagles country. Yeah, they suck really bad, but it’s the team I’ve been following since I was a kid. Come to think about it- except for the Superbowl run, they’ve pretty much sucked my entire life.

• wlschneider09 - Oct 1, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Is that a HB sighting?

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 1, 2011 at 12:05 AM

wlschneider09,

Yes, it is. I’m back to curb these Cardinals fans that want to talk smack. I will be here telling the truth. My opinions are mostly facts.

• spudchukar - Oct 1, 2011 at 11:45 AM

For your information “Cepts I grew up in Pagedale. Anyone who knows St. Louis knows what that means. Yeah, I chose to relocate to Central Idaho 30 years ago cause I wanted to live where other people go to play. If for some reason that makes me less of a Cardinal fan in your Phillycentric mind, so be it.

As to the supposed “smack talk” you have had to endure instigating your most recent “comeback”, I find it mild, particularly to the arrogant blithering arising from SE Penn. The only offensive thing I have read came from the Delaware Card fan. That speaks for itself.

Good Luck to you and your Phightens. May the team that plays the best win.

• paperlions - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Spud there are a great many high quality NE beers that never leave NE. As a former beer brewer (no time anymore), I am pretty particular about my beer…but there are a good many companies up here that make fine APAs and IPAs as well as some nice brown ales. There is indeed some fine beer in the NW (I actually have had better stuff when in Colorado than when in Seattle), but there are folks all around that know how to brew great beer.

• gostlcards5 - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Sorry, ‘lions, this is a softball that I have to hit….

The reason the NE beers don’t leave NE is that they don’t get out of the Red Sox clubhouse! (ba dum bum) :)

• spudchukar - Oct 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Yes, there are some fine microbreweries in the NE, but the renowned connoiseur Michael Jackson, wrote in Atlantic Magazine some years ago, coming to the Northwest was eye-opening. I paraphrase, but he said something like ‘you guys are light years ahead of the microbreweries in the rest of the country.’ It is the Mecca of Beer.

6. Joe - Sep 30, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Schlafly beer is both great and from St Louis. There’s good beer here, just not from ImBev.

7. ikedavisnose - Sep 30, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I wonder if Charlie Manuel remembers when beer was illegal ya know during the 1920s

8. halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM

“On a more sober note, couldn’t the mayors have found another commodity to play up?”

Matt, are you serious? When is drinking a beer without driving ever a crime? Everything that is done is not a reason for a social commentary on DUI’s.

• nixonotis - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Hold on, I have to use Google Translate to understand that last sentence.

9. TC - Sep 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Nutter’s office almost always tries to trade days of service. Stuff like having the St Louis mayor come to Philly, wear a Phils jersey, and clean up a block, that kind of thing. Of course, almost no one goes for it, so they end up trading beer or sandwiches or something.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 30, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Would Nutter make him tuck the jersey into his pants though?

10. hotkarlsandwich - Oct 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Get me a case of narragansett!

11. mojosmagic - Oct 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM

People drink Bud because it’s cheap and they advertise like crazy. I think it sucks and would take a quality micro brew over a Bud anytime.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3948)