Sep 30, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Because beer and baseball go hand in hand… and not just in the Boston clubhouse.
Philadelphia mayor Michael Nutter and St. Louis mayor Francis Slay have made a friendly wager on the results of their teams’ NLDS series.
Nutter is putting up beer from several local microbreweries against the St. Louis-based Budweiser being offered by Slay.
Which seems fair, given that the Phillies are overwhelming favorites in the series. Slay certainly wasn’t going to risk the good stuff.
On a more sober note, couldn’t the mayors have found another commodity to play up? The Cardinals had a pitcher die drunk driving four years ago, their manager has a DUI offense on his record and their play-by-play guy just got his second DWI over the weekend.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 82
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (82)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)