Phillies set postseason roster, choose Blanton over Herndon

Sep 30, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT

blanton throws Getty Images

Joe Blanton beat out David Herndon for the final spot on the Phillies’ playoff roster, which will include 14 position players and 11 pitchers.

Herndon has been a key contributor to the bullpen all season, throwing 57 innings with a 3.32 ERA, but he’s worked mostly in low-leverage situations and Blanton convinced the Phillies he’s healthy and would be a better choice for the final bullpen spot by throwing well in a handful of late-season outings.

As expected, Domonic Brown did not make the roster. Ross Gload will serve as the left-handed bench bat, along with Michael Martinez and Wilson Valdez as backup infielders and John Mayberry Jr. and Ben Francisco as backup outfielders.

1. spudchukar - Sep 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Gload and Blanton. Yahoo!

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Gload has actually been swinging the bat significantly better of late. I still don’t have much faith in him, but more then I had in August. Also, he led the league in pinch hits. That has to count for something. On Blanton: if he sees the field something went horribly wrong.

• prionogenic - Sep 30, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Unless it’s to bat!

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 30, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Yeah, potato chucker, you should fear more than Gload and Blanton. When you have to face the (4) aces, they will teach you a lesson in humility.

• spudchukar - Sep 30, 2011 at 6:00 PM

“Cepts, nobody values your aces more than me. It will be one tough uphill climb, and you have not heard me predicting or guaranteeing anything. That said, prepare for battle, cause we are coming with guns ablazin’, whether it will be enough time will tell. Your Phils are certainly more talented, but it isn’t about who is best, it is about who plays best.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 30, 2011 at 6:02 PM

There’s Hallady. Where have you been? This is the 1st post I have seen in about a week. Good luck! I am just hoping my Cardinals have more of it. Go Cardinals!

• spudchukar - Sep 30, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Come on Phaithful, I have been tortured by the Gload and Blanton criticism for months, but when a non-Pheelie Phan jests about the choices suddenly you are defensive. Your lack of self deprecation is embarassing.

• firedude7160 - Sep 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Long time no see

2. sgtr0c - Sep 30, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Giddy-Up!

3. kvanhorn87 - Sep 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Most regular season wins ever and most wins by a general manager of phils in career. Woohoo, everybody hits. Except HBT!

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 30, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Let it go VanHorn. It’s eating you up Man. Let it go!

4. kvanhorn87 - Sep 30, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Definitely not eating me up. Just like to poke at the ridiculousness of HBT. We read about signings of non-playoff teams, others collapsing, overrated managers walking away, … How about a positive story?

FTR, I am not a man.

• firedude7160 - Sep 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM

If you don’t like the content on HBT, don’t feel obligated to return…

5. kvanhorn87 - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Isn’t journalism and entertainment based on what the consumers desire? I am just sharing what I would like to see from a site that I have visited every day this baseball season.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3665)