Sep 30, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Herndon has been a key contributor to the bullpen all season, throwing 57 innings with a 3.32 ERA, but he’s worked mostly in low-leverage situations and Blanton convinced the Phillies he’s healthy and would be a better choice for the final bullpen spot by throwing well in a handful of late-season outings.
As expected, Domonic Brown did not make the roster. Ross Gload will serve as the left-handed bench bat, along with Michael Martinez and Wilson Valdez as backup infielders and John Mayberry Jr. and Ben Francisco as backup outfielders.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 252
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (252)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)