Sep 30, 2011, 4:45 PM EST
Herndon has been a key contributor to the bullpen all season, throwing 57 innings with a 3.32 ERA, but he’s worked mostly in low-leverage situations and Blanton convinced the Phillies he’s healthy and would be a better choice for the final bullpen spot by throwing well in a handful of late-season outings.
As expected, Domonic Brown did not make the roster. Ross Gload will serve as the left-handed bench bat, along with Michael Martinez and Wilson Valdez as backup infielders and John Mayberry Jr. and Ben Francisco as backup outfielders.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)