Sep 30, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Herndon has been a key contributor to the bullpen all season, throwing 57 innings with a 3.32 ERA, but he’s worked mostly in low-leverage situations and Blanton convinced the Phillies he’s healthy and would be a better choice for the final bullpen spot by throwing well in a handful of late-season outings.
As expected, Domonic Brown did not make the roster. Ross Gload will serve as the left-handed bench bat, along with Michael Martinez and Wilson Valdez as backup infielders and John Mayberry Jr. and Ben Francisco as backup outfielders.
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (133)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)