Sep 30, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Herndon has been a key contributor to the bullpen all season, throwing 57 innings with a 3.32 ERA, but he’s worked mostly in low-leverage situations and Blanton convinced the Phillies he’s healthy and would be a better choice for the final bullpen spot by throwing well in a handful of late-season outings.
As expected, Domonic Brown did not make the roster. Ross Gload will serve as the left-handed bench bat, along with Michael Martinez and Wilson Valdez as backup infielders and John Mayberry Jr. and Ben Francisco as backup outfielders.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)