Quote of the Day: Roy Halladay channels Shakespeare

Sep 30, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Roy Halladay

Roy Halladay was asked today about facing the Cardinals. And ask you can see from the reporter’s question, the reporter anticipated the whole thing in which athletes always say nice things about their opposition.  Halladay wasn’t having it:

Reporter: Can you talk about the balance of being in touch with what the other team’s capable of, having the proper respect, but at the end of all that, thinking about what do I know I can do and what our team is capable of, so you don’t give too much respect or too little? That balance there.

Halladay: I heard a quote a long time ago, I came here to bury Caesar, not praise him.

Sadly, Halladay didn’t simply drop the mic at that point and walk the hell off someplace. But let’s still give him credit for a little Shakespearean panache here.

UPDATE: To be clear, Halladay is not so straight gangsta that he just said that and ended it.  He went on to explain what he meant (i.e. that he respects the opposition yet has no doubt in his own team).  I clipped that because it was boring. Didn’t mean to mislead.  Still think it would be cooler if Halladay had dropped the mic there.

(via Crossing Broad)

1. El Bravo - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I love that guy and I don’t feel bad saying it.

2. spudchukar - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:08 PM

While somewhat clever, and refreshing, not exactly “honorable”.

• paperlions - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:14 PM

…and to you.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:15 PM

potatoman, did you click the link and read the entire quote? Because it wasn’t just this.

cup-troll, your team is dead. Why don’t you do the same and stop being such a jack ass?

• Jonny 5 - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM

When I read what cup0pizza writes, I can’t stop hearing this…

• uberfatty - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:25 PM

“Honor is a concept foreign to the Phillies organization and their moronic fanbase”

-C0P, minutes before complaining about, and accusing others of being, “internet tough guys”

The lesson, as always: Don’t feed the trolls, and they will go away.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:31 PM

you are correct, uber…he calls me a moron, then gets bent about my “personal attacks” What a complete dope. But maybe all this McCourt/Dodgers nonsense has turned his head to mush. I’ll just give him a pass because he is just a sad Dodgers fan.

• spudchukar - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:42 PM

You missed the point, but that isn’t exactly new.

• stevejeltzjehricurl - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Glad to get a lecture on honor from someone who mindlessly insults an entire fanbase.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:19 PM

LMAO!!!! The biggest Troll to ever lurk here speaks of honor…. That’s rich…

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:26 PM

0pizza; Now you are become douche, the maker of douche. Why? You are douche, nor are you never it.

• dbick - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM

My spots blog reading life would be much more enjoyable if the words “class” and “honor” were banned. That shit is so goddamn annoying, who gives a shit?

• mkd - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM

And Brutus is an honourable man…

• Old Gator - Sep 30, 2011 at 6:01 PM

ALDS is up. Time to switch on the teevee and cry havoc.

3. amhendrick - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:12 PM

“Can you talk about the balance of being in touch with what the other team’s capable of, having the proper respect, but at the end of all that, thinking about what do I know I can do and what our team is capable of, so you don’t give too much respect or too little? That balance there.”

Maybe it sounded better live, but that’s a terrible question. I had to read it 3 times to figure out what s/he was asking.

• stevejeltzjehricurl - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Gotta agree. That question smacks of a writer who’s got a pre-arranged storyline and needs a quote to fit into the article or column he’s working on already.

4. emoser - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:13 PM

what an IDIOT !!!

Seriously man, relax. I’m sure he’s very sorry that he slightly misquoted something from Shakespeare while at a podium answering questions on the fly.

5. asharak - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:15 PM

“Sadly, Halladay didn’t simply drop the mic at that point and walk the hell off someplace.”

To be fair, it’s not like Mark Antony was all that succinct, either.

6. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Here is the quote in entirety…just for the sake of accuracy. Not sure why one wouldn’t just put the rest of the quote in the blurb above but whatever.

Roy Halladay: I heard a quote a long time ago, ‘I came here to bury Caesar, not praise him.’ It’s true. I think that we’re all well aware of how good the [Cardinals] are. We obviously have a respect for what they’ve done and how they’ve played, but you have to be confident going in that you’re going to be able to beat them. You have to be confident the guys around you feel the same way. It is important, I think we all don’t take it lightly, but at the same time, I feel like without an arrogant tone to it, we believe we have a team that can go out and get the job done.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I didn’t put the rest of it there because it sounded way more badass without it. Yes, I realize that this was misleading, but it’s fluffy pre-game quotes we’re talking about here, not the Pentagon Papers.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Very true.

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I read this and I get the impression that Big Roy doesn’t get to talk to smart people all that often: he had to explain himself, the context of what he meant and how he meant it. He should have finished that with “Alas little hyperbole, we barely new ye”.

• spudchukar - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:49 PM

As do the Cardinals Roy, just to remind you.

7. drunkenhooliganism - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:18 PM

He’s already made this postseason funner.

8. dailyrev - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Doesn’t work — his team is all about the Love of Delphi (phila is Greek for love; Delphi is a town in Greece where dwelt an ancient oracle that, among other things, foretold the fall of Redipus, oops, I mean of course Oedipus). Now if his club played in Ama-Roma it would be different. Things being as they are, he needs to quote Sophocles.

The metaphor’s misplaced too: Antony says that to the Romans who are still seething with blood-lust over the murder of the Emperor, and he means to honor Caesar by burying him (“my heart is in the coffin there with Caesar”).

So Halladay’s “ambition should be made of sterner stuff.”

• yankeesgameday - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Dude. Really?

• spudchukar - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Really?, the Rev is right on. Doesn’t mean Halladay’s comment is ignorant, but upon further review he may have chosen differently, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t understand what he meant, and with that in mind it was fairly clever, and beats the hell out of the typical, “Gotta play them one at a time” blithering.

• natstowngreg - Sep 30, 2011 at 4:33 PM

We should cherish those rare moments when ballplayers commit wisdom. They stand out from the teeming masses who cannot articulate at all, or are graduates of the Crash Davis School of Baseball Cliches.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:46 PM

It’s still apropos, Halladay means to honor the Cardinals by burying them.

#smacktalk

• spudchukar - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Do you really find it necessary to modify your comments. Seems like you ought to be above that sort of thing.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM

You would think that unnecessary, yet the body of evidence suggests most people can’t tell when they are confronted by sarcasm, hyperbole or any form of light banter. They Take You Very Seriously and proceed to rip for you for 40 sentences.

• Bill - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Right. Antony is trying to pacify the crowd, give Caesar his post-mortem due, and slyly turn the Roman public against the assassins. The irony of the statement is that Antony is absolutely “come to praise” Caesar. Doc should have thrown down that quote and then followed it with effusive praise of the Cards’ league-best offensive production.

I won’t deny, though, that Halladay found the manliest way to misuse that line.

• stlbaseballman - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:57 PM

WOW! Rev you a smart guy. Obviously, not from Philly:) CARDS in 4 because Halliday can’t get his metaphors correct!

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:02 PM

When criticizing a city for not being smart it would help if you spelled Halladay correctly. It is right in the title, all you had to do was look up.

9. kiwicricket - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I hate so much….about you.

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM

+1. Can’t quote/parphrase enough Kelis IMO.

10. nolanwiffle - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Ay, every inch a king.

11. kevbarnett - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Almost as good as Jerome Brown’s quote from last nights A Football Life – “Did the Japanese sit down and eat with Pearl Harbor before they bombed them?”

12. badmamainphilliesjamas - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Lee would have just answered that question, “Whatever…”

13. Bill - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM

As Jaime Garcia was valiant, I honored him. As he was ambitious, I slew him.

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Be not afraid of greatness.

14. dasher521 - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Man, I check in to see the scoop on Francona and a little baseball talk …. what do I get? English Literature and a get a little education. Is this World Wide Web thing great, or what?

15. southpaw2k - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Cry havoc! And let slip the Docs of war!

16. cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:28 PM

O happy cutter!

17. ditto65 - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:30 PM

That, nd the fact that Mark Antony was actually praising Caesar….

18. umrguy42 - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Men at some time are masters of their fates:
    The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
    But in ourselves, that we are underlings.

…or should this go in one of the Red Sox threads? :p

• Old Gator - Sep 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM

This is all making me want to pull out my BBC version on DVD and watch it again – the great Keith Michell (who also brilliantly played King Henry VIII in The Six Wives of Henry VIII, one of the greatest television productions of all time) as JC. (The Charlton Heston version sucked, but he was figurehead president of the National Spear and Catapult Association at the time so he had a conflict of interest anyway.)

19. Old Gator - Sep 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM

What is it about this moron that his primary goal in life seems to be nothing else but convincing everyone that he is, in fact, a moron?

20. mojosmagic - Oct 1, 2011 at 8:52 AM

And bury them he will.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2484)