Sep 30, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
As expected, the Rangers have decided to keep three catchers on their 25-man roster for the playoffs, which means Matt Treanor will have a bench role behind Mike Napoli and Yorvit Torrealba on the depth chart.
Scott Feldman made the roster as the final reliever, although given Texas’ bullpen depth–and news that Alexi Ogando will spend the postseason relieving rather than starting–it’s tough to see him doing much more than mopping up.
Esteban German also made the roster as a utility man, which gives the Rangers a little defensive flexibility and some speed off the bench.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)