Shannon Stone’s son to throw out first pitch at Rangers game

Sep 30, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT

Rangers Ballpark Getty Images

Cooper Stone, the 6-year-old son of Rangers fan Shannon Stone who died after falling at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington on July 7, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 1 of the ALDS tonight.

Cooper Stone was at the game with his father when Shannon Stone fell 20 feet while reaching over the left field railing for a ball thrown by Josh Hamilton. Hamilton will be behind the plate for the first pitch tonight.

Hopefully the Rangers’ good luck charm last postseason, Little Ron Washington, will also be at the game. Seems like mini-Ron and Cooper Stone could be pals.

1. Old Gator - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I guess for the kid this must be bittersweet in the extreme, not to mention for Hamilton. I know how resilient kids can be, but it all just feels terribly, terribly sad to me.

2. wendell7 - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Nice gesture by the Rangers, best of luck Cooper!

3. bostonhasrealhockey - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Great to see them showing the young kid they havent forgotten. Class act.

4. miketreedy - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Still such a sad story but the Rangers have done everything they can to help this family. Nolan Ryan and this organization are truly first class all the way. I’m very proud to be a Rangers fan!

• cur68 - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Among the reasons I’m rooting for the Rangers is because of this story and how the team handled Mr. Stone’s death. Good for them and I too hope the best for Mr. Stone’s son. I recently was at a funeral for a dear friend of 25+ years who died at age 42. The funeral and the aftermath was ~ 10% about her and the rest about whatever brand of religion her husband believed in. The Rangers have done more to honor a patron who died by sudden accident than I saw a husband do to honor his wife who suffered for 2 years. I respect that amount class and I hope it brings some amount of peace to Mr. Stone’s family.

5. southpaw2k - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Very classy move by the Rangers. Well done, guys.

6. florida727 - Sep 30, 2011 at 3:45 PM

What a great gesture by the Rangers. As much as I hate to say it though, I’m hoping it’s not too much of an emotional distraction for Hamilton. I’m rooting for the Rays, but I wouldn’t want Hamilton to not be at his very best. This still has to haunt him to an extent. Even though there’s no way he’s to ‘blame’ for what happened, how do you not feel remorseful, if not outright guilty? Hamilton is a class act. I really hope this doesn’t hang over his head. He’s got too much to offer the game and the fans. Good luck, Josh.

7. mel13anie - Sep 30, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Nothing but class…..Way to go RANGERS!!!

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS