Sep 30, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
I was too busy recovering from shock to have seen this Buster Olney item from yesterday, but I’m sane today and … it’s probably going to send me back into insanity if there are any legs to it:
The Braves need power production out of right field. Now there is some sentiment within the organization that Atlanta might be better off dealing Heyward and taking advantage of his value or, at the very least, considering alternatives as they wait for him to develop.
Whoever in the organization is harboring such sentiment should have their head examined. Heyward is 22. He had a bad-for-him year, but was still the Braves’ best outfielder. Faint praise, but it’s true.
More to the point, he’s 22-years-old and has excelled at every level of baseball going back to little league. He had some health problems and some adjustment issues in 2011. Classic recipe for a sophomore slump. But that doesn’t change the fact that he is a fantastic ballplayer with outstanding promise. And it’s not like the Braves have a ton of those whose primary job is to hit the ball a long way.
I’m going to choose to believe that someone with the Braves is simply messing with Olney. If there is any more to this, however, the Braves and I are going to have a long conversation about the state of our relationship.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)