The Yankees are going with a three-man rotation for the ALDS

Sep 30, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT

CC Sabathia Getty Images

What do you do when you don’t have four starters you can depend on? You go with three.  That’s what the Yankees are doing anyway, carrying an 11-man pitching staff, but having only CC Sabathia, Freddy Garcia and Ivan Nova start.

That means Sabathia would go on short rest for a potential Game 4.  No biggie, actually. The big man has pitched on short rest quite often in his career — remember how he carried the Brewers into the playoffs doing that in 2008 — and it’s not like a short-rest Sabathia isn’t much better than, say, Phil Highes, A.J. Burnett or Bartolo Colon.  Because he totally is.

That leaves Burnett and Hughes as long men.  Remember when baseball used to have honest-to-goodness long men?

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 30, 2011 at 1:23 PM

If the Yankees are doing it, I don’t know why Leyland would be so hard-headed about doing it. Are you going to tell me that Penny/Porcello then Verlander would be better than Verlander on short rest then Fister on regular rest for game 5?? Like I said in the other thread…I’ll believe we won’t see Verlander if the Tigers are down 2-1 when I actually see it.

• bigharold - Sep 30, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Maybe Verlander has made it clear that he doesn’t think he can do it. Maybe Leyland doesn’t want to find out the hard way that he can’t do it because in fact he’s never done it.

The bottom line is the Yankees are doing it because they have to. Clearly the Tigers think they don’t.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 30, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Maybe that’s true about Verlander not thinking he can do it…but he doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who is going to ask out of throwing on short rest.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 30, 2011 at 1:58 PM

There’s only one Verlander?????? Huh?

2. spudchukar - Sep 30, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Do Chicks dig the Long Men too?

3. spudchukar - Sep 30, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Not sure I agree with this move by the Yanks. Doesn’t seem like much of a drop-off after CC and Ivan. Were I the Yanks, and had a 2-1 lead going into Game 4 in Detroit, I believe I would go to AJ or Bartolo, and save CC for Game 5 in New York (if necessary), with the option of starting him in Game 1 of the LCS.

• yankeesgameday - Sep 30, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Naw. You want to finish it.

4. lardin - Sep 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM

If this comes as surprise to people, it shouldnt. This has been the plan since the end of august

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto