Sep 30, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
What do you do when you don’t have four starters you can depend on? You go with three. That’s what the Yankees are doing anyway, carrying an 11-man pitching staff, but having only CC Sabathia, Freddy Garcia and Ivan Nova start.
That means Sabathia would go on short rest for a potential Game 4. No biggie, actually. The big man has pitched on short rest quite often in his career — remember how he carried the Brewers into the playoffs doing that in 2008 — and it’s not like a short-rest Sabathia isn’t much better than, say, Phil Highes, A.J. Burnett or Bartolo Colon. Because he totally is.
That leaves Burnett and Hughes as long men. Remember when baseball used to have honest-to-goodness long men?
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8