Sep 30, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
What do you do when you don’t have four starters you can depend on? You go with three. That’s what the Yankees are doing anyway, carrying an 11-man pitching staff, but having only CC Sabathia, Freddy Garcia and Ivan Nova start.
That means Sabathia would go on short rest for a potential Game 4. No biggie, actually. The big man has pitched on short rest quite often in his career — remember how he carried the Brewers into the playoffs doing that in 2008 — and it’s not like a short-rest Sabathia isn’t much better than, say, Phil Highes, A.J. Burnett or Bartolo Colon. Because he totally is.
That leaves Burnett and Hughes as long men. Remember when baseball used to have honest-to-goodness long men?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)