Sep 30, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
What do you do when you don’t have four starters you can depend on? You go with three. That’s what the Yankees are doing anyway, carrying an 11-man pitching staff, but having only CC Sabathia, Freddy Garcia and Ivan Nova start.
That means Sabathia would go on short rest for a potential Game 4. No biggie, actually. The big man has pitched on short rest quite often in his career — remember how he carried the Brewers into the playoffs doing that in 2008 — and it’s not like a short-rest Sabathia isn’t much better than, say, Phil Highes, A.J. Burnett or Bartolo Colon. Because he totally is.
That leaves Burnett and Hughes as long men. Remember when baseball used to have honest-to-goodness long men?
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (251)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)