Sep 30, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
What do you do when you don’t have four starters you can depend on? You go with three. That’s what the Yankees are doing anyway, carrying an 11-man pitching staff, but having only CC Sabathia, Freddy Garcia and Ivan Nova start.
That means Sabathia would go on short rest for a potential Game 4. No biggie, actually. The big man has pitched on short rest quite often in his career — remember how he carried the Brewers into the playoffs doing that in 2008 — and it’s not like a short-rest Sabathia isn’t much better than, say, Phil Highes, A.J. Burnett or Bartolo Colon. Because he totally is.
That leaves Burnett and Hughes as long men. Remember when baseball used to have honest-to-goodness long men?
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)