Sep 30, 2011, 11:27 PM EST
In theory, the Tigers were going to be significantly more dangerous in a five-game series than in a seven-gamer. All because certain AL Cy Young Award winner and probable MVP Justin Verlander would have been able to start 40 percent of the possible games, rather than 29 percent.
Now, he’s essentially starting 20.
Friday’s Game 1 between the Tigers and Yankees was suspended with the score tied 1-1 after 1 1/2 innings. So, now, with Friday’s game getting picked up Saturday and Saturday’s game being pushed back a day, we’re looking at the following matchups for the rest of the series.
The only off day is scheduled for Wednesday between Games 4 and 5.
It could certainly be worse for the Tigers. Fister has pitched extremely well, and the matchup of him versus Nova seems a bit advantageous. Also, the Yankees will now be starting Burnett when they had no intention of doing so in the first place.
But the Yankees have more depth in their pitching staff than the Tigers do and are better equipped to handle five games in six days. If a Tigers starter gets knocked out early — and it’s bound to happen at least once during the series — then it’s going to be Brad Penny time. And little good can come from that.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 170
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (171)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)