Sep 30, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Detroit announced its postseason roster, choosing to include both Brad Penny and Rick Porcello. That means one of them will start Game 4 against the Yankees while the other works out of the bullpen, although manager Jim Leyland hasn’t said which right-hander will fill which role.
David Pauley, who was acquired from the Mariners as part of the Doug Fister trade in July, will not be on the ALDS roster after posting a 5.95 ERA in 14 appearances for the Tigers. Pauley had a 2.15 ERA in 39 appearances for Seattle prior to the trade.
Instead of Pauley the Tigers opted for Ryan Perry as a right-handed reliever. They’ll also go with Omir Santos as their backup catcher, in part because Victor Martinez is too banged up to be even an emergency option behind the plate.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)