Sep 30, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Detroit announced its postseason roster, choosing to include both Brad Penny and Rick Porcello. That means one of them will start Game 4 against the Yankees while the other works out of the bullpen, although manager Jim Leyland hasn’t said which right-hander will fill which role.
David Pauley, who was acquired from the Mariners as part of the Doug Fister trade in July, will not be on the ALDS roster after posting a 5.95 ERA in 14 appearances for the Tigers. Pauley had a 2.15 ERA in 39 appearances for Seattle prior to the trade.
Instead of Pauley the Tigers opted for Ryan Perry as a right-handed reliever. They’ll also go with Omir Santos as their backup catcher, in part because Victor Martinez is too banged up to be even an emergency option behind the plate.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29