Sep 30, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Detroit announced its postseason roster, choosing to include both Brad Penny and Rick Porcello. That means one of them will start Game 4 against the Yankees while the other works out of the bullpen, although manager Jim Leyland hasn’t said which right-hander will fill which role.
David Pauley, who was acquired from the Mariners as part of the Doug Fister trade in July, will not be on the ALDS roster after posting a 5.95 ERA in 14 appearances for the Tigers. Pauley had a 2.15 ERA in 39 appearances for Seattle prior to the trade.
Instead of Pauley the Tigers opted for Ryan Perry as a right-handed reliever. They’ll also go with Omir Santos as their backup catcher, in part because Victor Martinez is too banged up to be even an emergency option behind the plate.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (155)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)