Sep 30, 2011, 10:34 PM EDT
Ain’t this a daisy: Joe Torre just announced that Game 1 has been suspended. You can’t predict baseball. But you can predict weather. Makes you wonder why they didn’t do that here.
Because of the new postseason rules that were put into place after the soggy 2008 postseason, all playoff games are played to their completion, not started from scratch, even if it hadn’t reached the fifth inning. That means — per Torre — that Game 1 of the Tigers-Yankees will be resumed at the time Game 2 was to be played tomorrow, 8:37PM. It will be picked up where this one left off, with the teams tied at 1 in the middle of the second inning. Game 2 will now be played on Sunday at 3:07 PM, which would have been an offday, Game 3 goes as planned on Monday from Detroit.
The result: a giant mess, with the two aces, CC Sabathia and Justin Verlander being unavailable until at least Game 3, it would seem. It certainly throws a wrench into both managers’ plans. The presumption: Doug Fister and Ivan Nova will likely pick it up beginning in the bottom of the second, tomorrow. Or does Justin Verlander try to talk his way into pitching again? We’ll let you know as soon as we hear. UPDATE: The Tigers have announced that they’re going with Doug Fister tomorrow, Max Scherzer on Sunday and Justin Verlander coming back on Monday. This is HUGE because it means that Justin Verlander will now only pitch one game in this series (not counting his one inning tonight).
Oh well. This could have been avoided, it seems, if the people in charge had simply looked at the radar, which was apparently grim from the get-go. But I suppose they had more important stuff to do.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 0
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)