Sep 30, 2011, 10:34 PM EDT
Ain’t this a daisy: Joe Torre just announced that Game 1 has been suspended. You can’t predict baseball. But you can predict weather. Makes you wonder why they didn’t do that here.
Because of the new postseason rules that were put into place after the soggy 2008 postseason, all playoff games are played to their completion, not started from scratch, even if it hadn’t reached the fifth inning. That means — per Torre — that Game 1 of the Tigers-Yankees will be resumed at the time Game 2 was to be played tomorrow, 8:37PM. It will be picked up where this one left off, with the teams tied at 1 in the middle of the second inning. Game 2 will now be played on Sunday at 3:07 PM, which would have been an offday, Game 3 goes as planned on Monday from Detroit.
The result: a giant mess, with the two aces, CC Sabathia and Justin Verlander being unavailable until at least Game 3, it would seem. It certainly throws a wrench into both managers’ plans. The presumption: Doug Fister and Ivan Nova will likely pick it up beginning in the bottom of the second, tomorrow. Or does Justin Verlander try to talk his way into pitching again? We’ll let you know as soon as we hear. UPDATE: The Tigers have announced that they’re going with Doug Fister tomorrow, Max Scherzer on Sunday and Justin Verlander coming back on Monday. This is HUGE because it means that Justin Verlander will now only pitch one game in this series (not counting his one inning tonight).
Oh well. This could have been avoided, it seems, if the people in charge had simply looked at the radar, which was apparently grim from the get-go. But I suppose they had more important stuff to do.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)