Sep 30, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
That isn’t a surprise, as Hafner is under contract for $13 million in 2012 and remains plenty productive when healthy enough to play, but Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes that “they could cut the cord on the biggest deal in Indians history and start over at DH.”
They’re paying him that money either way, and having him around as even a part-time bat is plenty useful considering Hafner hit .280 with 13 homers, 16 doubles, and an .811 OPS in 94 games. His contract has been a huge bust and Hafner can’t be counted on to play even 100 games at this point, but he led the team in OPS.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)