Oct 1, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
Those watching Saturday’s Cardinals-Phillies game surely noticed that Albert Pujols didn’t exactly bust it down the line on his sixth-inning groundout. As it turned out, there was good reason why.
Cards manager Tony La Russa said after the game that Pujols is dealing with a heel injury, but that he should play Sunday. Pujols was removed for a pinch-runner today with the Cardinals down 11-3 in the ninth.
The Cardinals will surely live with Pujols running at 70 percent in order to keep his bat in the lineup. The three-time MVP had one of their seven hits and one of their two walks in today’s loss.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 1
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 19
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 346
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 81
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 53
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)