Oct 1, 2011, 8:52 PM EST
Those watching Saturday’s Cardinals-Phillies game surely noticed that Albert Pujols didn’t exactly bust it down the line on his sixth-inning groundout. As it turned out, there was good reason why.
Cards manager Tony La Russa said after the game that Pujols is dealing with a heel injury, but that he should play Sunday. Pujols was removed for a pinch-runner today with the Cardinals down 11-3 in the ninth.
The Cardinals will surely live with Pujols running at 70 percent in order to keep his bat in the lineup. The three-time MVP had one of their seven hits and one of their two walks in today’s loss.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 31
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 28
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 46
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)