Oct 1, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
Those watching Saturday’s Cardinals-Phillies game surely noticed that Albert Pujols didn’t exactly bust it down the line on his sixth-inning groundout. As it turned out, there was good reason why.
Cards manager Tony La Russa said after the game that Pujols is dealing with a heel injury, but that he should play Sunday. Pujols was removed for a pinch-runner today with the Cardinals down 11-3 in the ninth.
The Cardinals will surely live with Pujols running at 70 percent in order to keep his bat in the lineup. The three-time MVP had one of their seven hits and one of their two walks in today’s loss.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)