Oct 1, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT
We’re going to hear all sorts of rampant speculation about potential candidates for the Red Sox manager vacancy over the next few days, so don’t take this too seriously, but Mike Salk of 710 ESPN Seattle hears that current Blue Jays bench coach and former Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu has been “floated” as a possibility for the job in Boston.
Wakamatsu led the Mariners to a 127-147 record before being fired last August. He was highly praised during his first season in 2009, in which the Mariners won 85 games, but the team underperformed during his second year and the clubhouse turned on him, mostly related to the messy Ken Griffey Jr. situation. The Red Sox reportedly had some issues in their clubhouse down the stretch, so Wakamatsu’s history could work against him there.
Keep in mind that this is all speculation, but Buster Olney of ESPN.com named Giants manager Bruce Bochy, Mariners manager Eric Wedge, Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin and Bobby Valentine as possibilities this morning. In fact, Olney hears that Valentine “has support in at least one important corner of the Boston front office.” It’s still very early in the process and this dynamic could change if Theo Epstein bolts for the Cubs’ GM job, but if I had to peg an early favorite, it would have to be Valentine.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)