Oct 1, 2011, 11:53 AM EDT
Barring a last-minute change of plans, we can now say that CC Sabathia will only make one start during the ALDS against the Tigers.
While there was some buzz late last night that Sabathia could talk his way into pitching tomorrow, Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com this morning they will hold him back until Game 3 on Monday in Detroit. The big left-hander was ruled out as a possibility after throwing 27 pitches over two innings last night and 48 pitches during warmups.
As Matthew concluded last night, this means we’ll likely see the following matchups during the series:
Game 1: Doug Fister vs. Ivan Nova
Game 2: Max Scherzer vs. Freddy Garcia
Game 3: Justin Verlander vs. CC Sabathia
Game 4 (if necessary): Rick Porcello vs. A.J. Burnett
Game 5 (if necessary): Doug Fister vs. Ivan Nova
As of now, there’s still one off-day left in the series, so Nova and Fister would be going on full rest in a potential deciding Game 5.
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 6
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 1
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 3
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 31
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)