Oct 1, 2011, 11:53 AM EDT
Barring a last-minute change of plans, we can now say that CC Sabathia will only make one start during the ALDS against the Tigers.
While there was some buzz late last night that Sabathia could talk his way into pitching tomorrow, Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com this morning they will hold him back until Game 3 on Monday in Detroit. The big left-hander was ruled out as a possibility after throwing 27 pitches over two innings last night and 48 pitches during warmups.
As Matthew concluded last night, this means we’ll likely see the following matchups during the series:
Game 1: Doug Fister vs. Ivan Nova
Game 2: Max Scherzer vs. Freddy Garcia
Game 3: Justin Verlander vs. CC Sabathia
Game 4 (if necessary): Rick Porcello vs. A.J. Burnett
Game 5 (if necessary): Doug Fister vs. Ivan Nova
As of now, there’s still one off-day left in the series, so Nova and Fister would be going on full rest in a potential deciding Game 5.
- Not so fast! Dodgers-Marlins trade for Mat Latos “could be falling apart” 42
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 27
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 42
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 52
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)