Oct 1, 2011, 11:53 AM EDT
Barring a last-minute change of plans, we can now say that CC Sabathia will only make one start during the ALDS against the Tigers.
While there was some buzz late last night that Sabathia could talk his way into pitching tomorrow, Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com this morning they will hold him back until Game 3 on Monday in Detroit. The big left-hander was ruled out as a possibility after throwing 27 pitches over two innings last night and 48 pitches during warmups.
As Matthew concluded last night, this means we’ll likely see the following matchups during the series:
Game 1: Doug Fister vs. Ivan Nova
Game 2: Max Scherzer vs. Freddy Garcia
Game 3: Justin Verlander vs. CC Sabathia
Game 4 (if necessary): Rick Porcello vs. A.J. Burnett
Game 5 (if necessary): Doug Fister vs. Ivan Nova
As of now, there’s still one off-day left in the series, so Nova and Fister would be going on full rest in a potential deciding Game 5.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)