Oct 1, 2011, 11:53 AM EDT
Barring a last-minute change of plans, we can now say that CC Sabathia will only make one start during the ALDS against the Tigers.
While there was some buzz late last night that Sabathia could talk his way into pitching tomorrow, Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com this morning they will hold him back until Game 3 on Monday in Detroit. The big left-hander was ruled out as a possibility after throwing 27 pitches over two innings last night and 48 pitches during warmups.
As Matthew concluded last night, this means we’ll likely see the following matchups during the series:
Game 1: Doug Fister vs. Ivan Nova
Game 2: Max Scherzer vs. Freddy Garcia
Game 3: Justin Verlander vs. CC Sabathia
Game 4 (if necessary): Rick Porcello vs. A.J. Burnett
Game 5 (if necessary): Doug Fister vs. Ivan Nova
As of now, there’s still one off-day left in the series, so Nova and Fister would be going on full rest in a potential deciding Game 5.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)