Oct 1, 2011, 8:11 AM EST
After last night’s game between the Tigers and Yankees was suspended due to rain, Joe Girardi and Joe Torre both mentioned the possibility of a day-night doubleheader for Sunday should tonight’s game also be washed out. However, it turns out a doubleheader is not a realistic option.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, the commissioner’s office said there are no circumstances under which a doubleheader will be played during the ALDS. And so, if there’s another rainout tonight, which looks like a real possibility judging by the forecast, that means the two teams will play (if necessary) five consecutive days with no off-days during the series.
By the way, when we last left you, it looked like CC Sabathia would start Game 3 on Monday in Detroit, but he’s now lobbying to come back to start Game 2 on Sunday. If that happens, it’s still possible he could come back to pitch on short rest in a potential Game 5. As for the Tigers, Jim Leyland appears pretty firm on using Justin Verlander in Game 3.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 322
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (320)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)