Oct 1, 2011, 8:11 AM EDT
After last night’s game between the Tigers and Yankees was suspended due to rain, Joe Girardi and Joe Torre both mentioned the possibility of a day-night doubleheader for Sunday should tonight’s game also be washed out. However, it turns out a doubleheader is not a realistic option.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, the commissioner’s office said there are no circumstances under which a doubleheader will be played during the ALDS. And so, if there’s another rainout tonight, which looks like a real possibility judging by the forecast, that means the two teams will play (if necessary) five consecutive days with no off-days during the series.
By the way, when we last left you, it looked like CC Sabathia would start Game 3 on Monday in Detroit, but he’s now lobbying to come back to start Game 2 on Sunday. If that happens, it’s still possible he could come back to pitch on short rest in a potential Game 5. As for the Tigers, Jim Leyland appears pretty firm on using Justin Verlander in Game 3.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)