Oct 1, 2011, 12:44 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 1 of the NLDS between the Diamondbacks and Brewers this afternoon:
ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS MILWAUKEE BREWERS 1. Willie Bloomquist, SS 1. Corey Hart, RF 2. Aaron Hill, 2B 2. Nyjer Morgan, CF 3. Justin Upton, RF 3. Ryan Braun, LF 4. Miguel Montero, C 4. Prince Fielder, 1B 5. Chris Young, CF 5. Rickie Weeks, 2B 6. Lyle Overbay, 1B 6. Jerry Hairston Jr., 3B 7. Ryan Roberts, 3B 7. Yuniesky Betancourt, SS 8. Gerardo Parra, LF 8. Jonathan Lucroy, C 9. Ian Kennedy, SP 9. Yovani Gallardo, SP
The major thing of note here is that Diamondbacks’ manager Kirk Gibson went with the veteran Lyle Overbay over the rookie Paul Goldschmidt at first base. Left-handed batters have hit Gallardo slightly better than righties this season, but not by much, so perhaps Overbay is getting the nod because of his past experience at Miller Park as a member of the Brewers.
As for the Brewers, Jerry Hairston Jr. will make the start over Casey McGehee at third, something I figured would happen in our series preview earlier this week. McGehee batted just .223/.280/.346 with 13 homers and a .627 OPS this season, including a .132 batting average in September, so it’s not a big shock to see him on the bench. However, as Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel notes, chances are we’ll see lineup for Game 2. While not a big sample size, McGehee is 5-for-5 with a double and a homer lifetime against Daniel Hudson.
I’ll be live blogging this game once it gets underway at about 2 p.m. ET, so stay tuned.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)