Oct 1, 2011, 12:44 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 1 of the NLDS between the Diamondbacks and Brewers this afternoon:
ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS MILWAUKEE BREWERS 1. Willie Bloomquist, SS 1. Corey Hart, RF 2. Aaron Hill, 2B 2. Nyjer Morgan, CF 3. Justin Upton, RF 3. Ryan Braun, LF 4. Miguel Montero, C 4. Prince Fielder, 1B 5. Chris Young, CF 5. Rickie Weeks, 2B 6. Lyle Overbay, 1B 6. Jerry Hairston Jr., 3B 7. Ryan Roberts, 3B 7. Yuniesky Betancourt, SS 8. Gerardo Parra, LF 8. Jonathan Lucroy, C 9. Ian Kennedy, SP 9. Yovani Gallardo, SP
The major thing of note here is that Diamondbacks’ manager Kirk Gibson went with the veteran Lyle Overbay over the rookie Paul Goldschmidt at first base. Left-handed batters have hit Gallardo slightly better than righties this season, but not by much, so perhaps Overbay is getting the nod because of his past experience at Miller Park as a member of the Brewers.
As for the Brewers, Jerry Hairston Jr. will make the start over Casey McGehee at third, something I figured would happen in our series preview earlier this week. McGehee batted just .223/.280/.346 with 13 homers and a .627 OPS this season, including a .132 batting average in September, so it’s not a big shock to see him on the bench. However, as Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel notes, chances are we’ll see lineup for Game 2. While not a big sample size, McGehee is 5-for-5 with a double and a homer lifetime against Daniel Hudson.
I’ll be live blogging this game once it gets underway at about 2 p.m. ET, so stay tuned.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)