Oct 1, 2011, 12:44 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 1 of the NLDS between the Diamondbacks and Brewers this afternoon:
ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS MILWAUKEE BREWERS 1. Willie Bloomquist, SS 1. Corey Hart, RF 2. Aaron Hill, 2B 2. Nyjer Morgan, CF 3. Justin Upton, RF 3. Ryan Braun, LF 4. Miguel Montero, C 4. Prince Fielder, 1B 5. Chris Young, CF 5. Rickie Weeks, 2B 6. Lyle Overbay, 1B 6. Jerry Hairston Jr., 3B 7. Ryan Roberts, 3B 7. Yuniesky Betancourt, SS 8. Gerardo Parra, LF 8. Jonathan Lucroy, C 9. Ian Kennedy, SP 9. Yovani Gallardo, SP
The major thing of note here is that Diamondbacks’ manager Kirk Gibson went with the veteran Lyle Overbay over the rookie Paul Goldschmidt at first base. Left-handed batters have hit Gallardo slightly better than righties this season, but not by much, so perhaps Overbay is getting the nod because of his past experience at Miller Park as a member of the Brewers.
As for the Brewers, Jerry Hairston Jr. will make the start over Casey McGehee at third, something I figured would happen in our series preview earlier this week. McGehee batted just .223/.280/.346 with 13 homers and a .627 OPS this season, including a .132 batting average in September, so it’s not a big shock to see him on the bench. However, as Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel notes, chances are we’ll see lineup for Game 2. While not a big sample size, McGehee is 5-for-5 with a double and a homer lifetime against Daniel Hudson.
I’ll be live blogging this game once it gets underway at about 2 p.m. ET, so stay tuned.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)