Oct 1, 2011, 12:44 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 1 of the NLDS between the Diamondbacks and Brewers this afternoon:
ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS MILWAUKEE BREWERS 1. Willie Bloomquist, SS 1. Corey Hart, RF 2. Aaron Hill, 2B 2. Nyjer Morgan, CF 3. Justin Upton, RF 3. Ryan Braun, LF 4. Miguel Montero, C 4. Prince Fielder, 1B 5. Chris Young, CF 5. Rickie Weeks, 2B 6. Lyle Overbay, 1B 6. Jerry Hairston Jr., 3B 7. Ryan Roberts, 3B 7. Yuniesky Betancourt, SS 8. Gerardo Parra, LF 8. Jonathan Lucroy, C 9. Ian Kennedy, SP 9. Yovani Gallardo, SP
The major thing of note here is that Diamondbacks’ manager Kirk Gibson went with the veteran Lyle Overbay over the rookie Paul Goldschmidt at first base. Left-handed batters have hit Gallardo slightly better than righties this season, but not by much, so perhaps Overbay is getting the nod because of his past experience at Miller Park as a member of the Brewers.
As for the Brewers, Jerry Hairston Jr. will make the start over Casey McGehee at third, something I figured would happen in our series preview earlier this week. McGehee batted just .223/.280/.346 with 13 homers and a .627 OPS this season, including a .132 batting average in September, so it’s not a big shock to see him on the bench. However, as Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel notes, chances are we’ll see lineup for Game 2. While not a big sample size, McGehee is 5-for-5 with a double and a homer lifetime against Daniel Hudson.
I’ll be live blogging this game once it gets underway at about 2 p.m. ET, so stay tuned.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)